ONTAP Discussions

Problem assigning replacement disk

cmcn_2015

We had a faulty disk and recieved a replacement from NetApp.

But when I swapped out the faulty disk and inserted the replacement, the amber warning light conitinued to display.

When I run storage show disk -p

I see all of my disks and their partner but the faulty disk name's partner field is blank.

A message says, "1 disks have downrev firmware that you need to update.

When I tried disk assign all

The error says, "Assign faield because disk 'diskname' has redundancy errors and force option is not specified"

We haven't tried the force option yet.

Can anyone please advise what could be causing this & how we can resolve it? Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

aborzenkov
Well, it's possible that new disk is faulty (sounds like one channel does not work); it is possible that original fault was not in disk but in shelf (ESH/IOM/chassis). We do not have enough information and you should contact NetApp support and tell them that disk replacement did not help.

cmcn_2015
Yes we have already done that. NetApp sent out another replacement disk and the same issue occurs with that one.

aborzenkov
So it's not a disk. Must be something on shelf side then.

cmcn_2015

Are there any commands I can run to help identify any issues with the shelf?

I should add that all other disks in this shelf are functioning normally.

Thanks.

cmcn_2015

So it turns out we need to upgrade all disk, shelf and atto firmware along with the disk_qual files!

Naveenpusuluru
It might be the issue with disk_qual package. Please update it. Use the below command to check the shelf storage show shelf

nwvs6095131

we had the issue and a -f worked - the error calls for a force option and that's typically -f 

Public