ONTAP Discussions

Questions about FAS 2750 12*1.8TB disk planning

mantlelava

Currently, there are 12*1.8TB SAS disks that provide storage services for the two regions. Use NFS for NAS storage.
Q1: How to plan disks, use RAID DP or ADP?

Q2: The customer requires that the total of the two regions is not less than 10TB, the A region is not less than 6TB, and the B region is not less than 4TB. How does AGGR plan?

Q3: Two control nodes are installed. Can each node independently control an area or can aggr provide storage services for virtualized servers?

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 REPLIES 5

SpindleNinja

DP can be used with ADP.    DP is a RAID Level and ADP is partitioning of the disks.  Root-Data or Root-Data-Data depending on the system.  you sound like you're a partner,  check out the ADP deck in Field Portal. 

For 12 drives, your best bet is just to use a single aggr.  Check out the config in Fusion.  

From what you wrote it sounds like they want to separate Geos on a single system?   Maybe consider creating an SVM (Storage VM) per Geo.  

mantlelava

Thanks for your reply! But I don't know what GEO is. As you said, is it ok for me to create an AGGR, then create 2 SVM on one AGGR, and create different volumes and Luns in different SVM to serve different devices and regions?

SpindleNinja

Geo = Geographic 

mantlelava

I use ONTAP version 9.70P9, and only saw the automatic creation of aggregations, and the system automatically created two aggregations for me. But I heard from friends that when the number of disks is small, "ADP" can be used to get more space. But I did not find how to use ADP in GUI (browser). Is consloe required to configure ADP?

Also, as mentioned above, if it is 12 * 1.8TB SAS, how much free space can I get after using ADP? How about using automatic aggregation? Thank you very much and I wish you a happy day!

Mjizzini

Linking both posts.

About ADP

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public