ONTAP Discussions

Restoring VMware VMFS Datastore in a Flexvol non qtree using SnapVault

RANJBASSI

Hi All

Just wondering how best I can perform restores of our VMFS volumes simply and quickly. 

We only use our NetApp to present flexvols as LUNS to our VMware environment. 

We have a number of flexvols which are NOT in a Qtree and we want to use Snapvault to be able to keep longer retentions for certain datastores.

For example we have 1 flexvol which holds our Exchange and financial system and this requires a 3 month retention. I want to be able to do the 3 month retention and then I wil use snap manager for exchange to perform the DB exchange backups for the longer retention as well.

Is someone able to provide me some steps of how best I should perform a restore either back into our Production environment from our Destination filer?

I am just trying to understand the steps or if there is a better way of performing this. The aim is to do this quickly so if a user had a lost a file and I needed to rely on a snapvault what would be the best way.

We do use snapmirror but the retention for that is only 7 days, and normally i would create a flexclone to be able to bring back a VM with the files on which is easy. Can the same apply for SV?

Also we are presenting the datastores as Fibre channel LUNs and not NFS shares.  I have made the .snapshot path available for the destination and source qtree and in there I just see the snapshot LUN.

Any advice on this for me as I am a SV newbie would be most appreciated.

Thanks

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public