ONTAP Discussions

SnapShot/Flexclone/SnapManager for Oracle

netappmagic

We wantora_infoednonprd_bkp  ed to create a copy of a Prod Oracle database, and use the copy for reports. The following is my question:

1. Could it be achived by using SM for Oracle, and eseential it is using Flexclone. Correct?

2. Without SM for Oracle, can I only use Flexclone to do that? If yes, how? and how to resolve the consisitency issue beween logs and datafiles?

Thank you very much for your inputs.

5 REPLIES 5

deepuj

Hi,

You are correct, If you need to have a application consistent copy of the database you need to create a clone from SMO. 

Normal flexclone will not be application consistent. 

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

netappmagic

what if I put Orace DB in Hot backup mode or stop writting to DB before flexclone all related Oracle volumes together? Are there any workaround by using flexclone instead of SMO

deepuj

Hi,

you may be able to do a app consistent using RMAN, but we strongly recommend to use SMO for application consistent clone.

As I mentioned before, direct flexclone will not be app consistent.

Thanks

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

netappmagic

In hot backup mode, then do flexclone to all DB volumes involved, will that cause inconsistency as well?

Could you please tell me a little bit of more on using RMAN to keep the consistency, how?

Thanks!

netappmagic

Please share your experience to ensure Oracle database consistency when using Flexclone to clone DB.

for instance, what steps to take to use RMAN to keep DB consistency?

Public