ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror SVM setup between ONTAP 9 filers -cluster admin or SVM admin? "Incorrect credential"

Northman

I am trying to run the powershell command New-NcSnapMirror. The command 'Get-NcCommand -New-NcSnapMirror',

tells me  the Family is 'cluster,vserver'

This means I can run the powershell script using either the cluster admin credentials or the vsadmin credential. Correct? I cannot get the command to work using both  cluster admin and vsadmin. It connects to both clusters AND vservers, but when the actual creation occurs I get "incorrect credential". 

Also see this thread about this subject: https://community.netapp.com/t5/Microsoft-Virtualization-Discussions/How-do-I-connect-to-a-Cluster-Mode-filer-using-Connect-NcController/td-p/106050

Also founfd this thread about  this subject. Need to know if both ways should work, and if this solution is required:

https://community.netapp.com/t5/Active-IQ-Unified-Manager-Discussions/Incorrect-credentials-after-making-connection-multiple-controllers/m-p/166181#M2...

6 REPLIES 6

TMACMD

I would suspect the underlying infrastructure needs to be setup first. Has that happened? The intercluster lifs on all nodes, the cluster peering and the vserver peering?

does this page help: 
https://system32.blog/post/netappsnapmirrorposhmigration/

I’ve never tried running snapmirror from a vserver before. Not sure why that is there unless it is for svm-dr or something

Northman

Yes, everything has been setup, and SM is working using the GUI between the SVMs. I need powershell to work due to the number of volumes that need to be setup.

I also tried running the command with cluster admin without specifying vserver in the form  -source //sourcefiler/SVMname/volumename

Here is output of the script, names modified:

PS C:\Users> Connect-NcController -Name Site2-i-nac01 -vserver svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_PROD -Credential $creds_Site2inac01

Name Address Vserver Version
---- ------- ------- -------
Site2-i-nac01 X.Y.63.202 svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_P… NetApp Release 9.11.1P8: Fri Apr 07 00:02:50 UTC 2023

PS C:\Users\ Connect-NcController -Name Site2-i-svc01 -vserver svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_PROD_SM_Test -Credential $creds_Site2isvc01

Name Address Vserver Version
---- ------- ------- -------
Site2-i-svc01 X.Y.63.209 svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_P… NetApp Release 9.11.1P8: Fri Apr 07 00:02:50 UTC 2023

PS C:\Users\
PS C:\Users\New-NcSnapmirror -DestinationCluster Site2-i-svc01 -DestinationVserver svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_PROD_SM_Test -DestinationVolume test_SM -SourceCluster Site2-i-nac01 -SourceVserver svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_PROD -SourceVolume test_SM -Controller Site2-i-svc01 -verbose
VERBOSE: Creating SnapMirror relationship from Site2-i-nac01://svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_PROD/test_SM to Site2-i-svc01://svm_cifs_filer_Tennant_PROD_SM_Test/test_SM.
New-NcSnapmirror: Incorrect credentials for Site2-i-svc01.

TMACMD

Let me start: I’m not a powershell expert in any world. However, what i have used before…I have a question. Snapmirror is cluster to cluster. Why are to connecting to your controllers and specifying a vserver?

i use NetappDocs and when I connect, it is only to the cluster and vserver is not specified. 

also, I think you specify snapmirror like this

vserver:volume and you can specify the source cluster, the destination cluster, the source vserver and the destination vserver

that may be your issue. Try without the vserver connection option and connect to just the cluster. Then use cluster credentials to establish the mirror and use the correct pathing for the mirrors

Northman

Using vservers, because the volumes are under vservers, so we can share the volumes using cifs/NFS.

What is NetappDocs?

All the powershell syntax commands REQUIRE vserver . Not sure how you can create volumes without a vserver? I am running ONTAP 9, so are probably you, too?

I have tried the two possible ways to set it up, both specifying -clusxter and -vserver.

TMACMD

For reference, I use this to connect

Add-NcCredential -Controller “$CLUS1” -Credential (Get-Credential)

Connect-NcController $cluster -Credential (Get-NcCredential $cluster -SystemScope $false).Credential

that might help you connecting to the cluster versus the vm. Snapmirror is always cluster to cluster (not svm to SVM, those are the end points at the clusters)

Northman

Thanks, will try this tomorrow.  What is -'systemscope $false' signifying? 

Public