ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror across different networks/subnet

ov12

I have two clusters, both running ontap 8.3.1.

They're on two different networks on two different subnets, the remote cluster being the one that doesn't have intercluster lifs set up (and won't be either)

Is there a way to set up cluster peering in order to snapmirror, other than having ic lifs set up? Maybe something to do with routing?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

JamesIlderton

You can only route replication traffic over data interfaces using 7-mode; cDOT does require you to use Intercluster LIFs.  You can create these on the same physical ports, if you don't have a spearate replication or management network you prefer to use.  You'll have to make sure you have these LIFs on all nodes of the clusters, even if they don't currently house data you are replicating - to account for both Storage Failover and Volume/LUN Move events.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

SeanHatfield

No intercluster lifs, no snapmirror.  The two clusters have to be able to communicate, and the snapmirror traffic runs over the intercluster lifs.  They can be routed.  Layer2 adjacency is not required.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

ov12

I was told it could be routed over the data interfaces (for this example, cifs). I'm able to ping each cluster as well.

JamesIlderton

You can only route replication traffic over data interfaces using 7-mode; cDOT does require you to use Intercluster LIFs.  You can create these on the same physical ports, if you don't have a spearate replication or management network you prefer to use.  You'll have to make sure you have these LIFs on all nodes of the clusters, even if they don't currently house data you are replicating - to account for both Storage Failover and Volume/LUN Move events.

ov12

Thank you so much for clearing that up!

Public