ONTAP Discussions

Snapmirror reinstation after tech refresh

BALAJI_VENKATRAMAN

Hi Experts.

Right now we have an active snapmirror between Primary and Secondary site ie Singapore and HongKong.

SG is the primary and data is replicated every 5 mins to HK - which is a DR site i.e not active unless source goes donw due to some reason.

-old represents the existing filer and -new is the new filer for tech refreshing the old ones.

SG-old --> Snapmirrors --> HK-old

My plan for tech refreshing this filer is as below

Setup SM from SG-old to SG-new (in addition to current SG-old to HK-old).

During the downtime - failover services to HK-old and let all current IO's go there.

My question is - Will a resync work from HK-old to SG-new or not?

Please advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

georgevj

If you are going to use separate shelf stacks for each of the new and old controllers, I think an easy way to do this would be by cascading the snapmirrors. Like, SG old -> HK old -> SG new -> HK new. That way you can avoid a resync. If you are planning to continue with HK old, after HK old -> SG new, you may have to do a snapmirror reverse resync. Please see "Data Protection Online Backup and Recovery Guide" at https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1196991 for supported configurations.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

georgevj

If you are going to use separate shelf stacks for each of the new and old controllers, I think an easy way to do this would be by cascading the snapmirrors. Like, SG old -> HK old -> SG new -> HK new. That way you can avoid a resync. If you are planning to continue with HK old, after HK old -> SG new, you may have to do a snapmirror reverse resync. Please see "Data Protection Online Backup and Recovery Guide" at https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1196991 for supported configurations.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.
Cannot find the answer you need? No need to open a support case - just CHAT and we’ll handle it for you.
Public