ONTAP Discussions

System configuration backup files are not deleted on FTP server

fede_melaccio

Hello,

We have configured a FAS8020 cluster running ontap 9.1P9 to upload configuration backup to a remote FTP server, using a system account on such server to access and create files.

Backups are successfully saved, however they are not removed from the FTP server when they should be, according to the configured retention policy. Furthermore, the filer command "system configuration backup show" correctly lists only the latest backup according to the retention policy.

It looks like the filer can create backup files on the FTP server but it is not able to delete them when they expire. I cannot find errors in any of the logs on both the filer and the server. Is it by design? Do I need to set up a cleanup script on the server, despite the filer having full read/write permissions on the FTP area?

Thank you.

Best Regards

Federico

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ttran

Hello fede_melaccio,

@GidonMarcus Is correct, ONTAP does not delete backups on remote servers; this is by design. The number of backup retention setting is for the backups stored locally in the root volume. Engineering is in the process of updating the public documentation to state the above mentioned.

Thank you @GidonMarcus for sharing the removal script!

This is tracked in documentation bug: 1236080: Documentation changes for "system configuration backup upload/download" commands 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Alberti

Hello,

the same with Ontap 9.5P7 and filezilla ftp server on Windows. Is there any new information to this issue?

best regerads, Thomas

netappz

We also seem to have this issue on ONTAP 9.3P12

Has everyone else just created a script to housekeep this, or is it actually an ONTAP feature that is meant to work, but doesn't due to some bug or other?

GidonMarcus

I think it not deletes by-design. Same for http-put. Here's a quick script I did at the time to clean up.

https://github.com/MGidi/Manage_Retention_Log_And_Clean_Old_NetApp_Cdot_Config_Backups/blob/master/Clean_Up_Script.ps1

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

Ello

Hello GidonMarcus,

How did you get http put to work.  I have installed apache server on  Rhel 7 specifically to upload these configuration files automatically but unable to put.  Thanks.

ttran

Hello fede_melaccio,

@GidonMarcus Is correct, ONTAP does not delete backups on remote servers; this is by design. The number of backup retention setting is for the backups stored locally in the root volume. Engineering is in the process of updating the public documentation to state the above mentioned.

Thank you @GidonMarcus for sharing the removal script!

This is tracked in documentation bug: 1236080: Documentation changes for "system configuration backup upload/download" commands 

Regards,

Team NetApp

Team NetApp

netappz

Thank you so much @GidonMarcus  and @ttran  for your input - most helpful!.

I recycled an old housekeeping script which should do the job, this is the great kind of support and teamwork I have come to expect over the years with Netapp - please keep it up!.

Public