ONTAP Discussions

Upgrading Snapcenter environment

wolfy

Hey all,

We are currently running snapcentre 4.0 and plug-ins package 4.0 for windows on vSphere 6.5U2. Since the flash support is ending for vsphere soon, we are planning to upgrade our snapcentre infra so the snapcentre plugin can be used for HTML5.

Im reading alot of  articles on upgrading snapcentre but apprently you have to deploy a "data broker" from snapceter 4.2 and onwards. 

I wanted to get an fair understanding of how one would proceed in order to upgrade their snapcentre environment so that it can be compatible with HTML5 console. We are doing backups on VM and datastore at the moment.

Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

9 REPLIES 9

Ontapforrum

We are also on SnapCenter Server 4.1.1 (using non-ova/Windows based Plug-for Vmware), and this is the general guide, that we will be following to switch to OVA version 4.3.x.

Step 1:
Deploy OVA:
SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere 4.3:
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2863451

Step 2:
Migrate the existing meta-data,resource-groups/policy etc:
Migrating  from SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere to virtual appliance (OVA):Page-80
https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2863452

The migration command in the guide above, migrates metadata from SnapCenter 4.0, 4.1, and 4.1.1 only. As you are running 4.0, so you should be good.

Item Supported versions for 4.3:
vCenter vSphere Flex client: 6.0U3, 6.5U2/U3, 6.7x, 7.0
HTML5 client: 6.5U2d/U3, 6.7x, 7.0

Thanks!

wolfy

hey thanks alot for the info.

On the manual @ 80th page, it says that i need SC version 4.2 or later. Does this only apply if im doing an application based backup aswell? As we are only backing up VM and Datastore as of now, i heard that i can migrate complete to SC Plugin for vSphere 4.3 solely and throw away the current Windows Based Server

Ontapforrum

Yes, that's correct.  We also do "VMs/Datastores" only, and therefore once we migrate to OVA based then we don't need Windows based SnapCenter Server.  "SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere as OVA" is self contained standalone unit which includes a MySQL database".

You will need a Snapcenter Server - If you want to perform  application-consistent backup/restores for sql/exchange/oracle etc etc running inside those Vms, in that case you will have to use 'plug-ins' to coordinate with OVA & snapcenter server.

wolfy

hey sorry for the late reply but i found a release note on SCV 4.3 and it said that i can upgrade to 4.3 all the from 4.1.1

we are currently using 4.0 for both windows and plugin, if the above mentioned information is correct, do you think that it would be more logical to upgrade the 4.0 to 4.1.1, and then deploying SCV 4.3 and migrate from 4.1.1 all the way to 4.3?

it seems like thats what you did so it would be awesome to hear your opinion on this.

thanks!

Ontapforrum

Hi,

I think you are reading this?

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2864257 [Page-10]

Info: It is recommended to retain the 4.1.x release of the SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere to test backup and recovery of applications over VMDK deployments.

As you are only doing 'VM/datastore' snapshots (Non-applications), so that should not be an issue for you. Just install the OVA instance and then use the migration steps to export the meta-data to 4.3.

Thanks!

wolfy

nah, im reading the below release noted for SCV4.3 (@Page 5 to 6)

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2863453

also, thanks for the link it says that going from SC 4.0 to 4.2 is disruptive and that was the initial path we were going to go with so might have to look into that a bit more hey.

im just still really confused regarding if you can "upgrade Snapcenter 4.0 to Snapcenter plugin for VMware vSphere 4.3" without having to deploy a NDB 1.0 in between (ie, SC 4.0 > SC 4.1.1 > SCV 4.3 Appliance)

wolfy

also we are running snapcenter 4.0 AND snapcenter plugin for windows 4.0 on the same windows server.

if i were to upgrade snapceter to 4.3, do i need to consider upgrading the plugin for windows too? or are they the same thing?

thanks.

Ontapforrum

Don't know which part is causing confusion, but "From SnapCenter 4.2, NDB was introduced.  However, NetApp Data Broker (NDB) is renamed to SnapCenter Plug-in for VMware vSphere in 4.3.  As you said you are on 4.0 (or 4.1.1) and wants to go to 4.3, you  should be able to go. Regarding the 2nd one : As you upgrade snapcenter 4.3 , it should ideally also upgrade the windows plug-in as it is on the same server.

wolfy

Okay cool, got it.

1. NDB is no more and i should just perceive NDB as SCV

2. We are on 4.0 Windows and 4.0 Plug-in package for windows, so we should be able to go from 4.0 > 4.1.1 > 4.3 OR 4.0 > 4.2 > 4.3

3. my only confusion is now that my server has the plugin package, and you said that i need to upgrade the plugin pacakage too. My Understanding was that the SC4.2+NDB1.0 or SCV4.3 has the plugin package included. Like does the package upgrade in relation to SnapCenter or do i have to upgrade seperately

anyway youve been a big help so far anyway man

Public