ONTAP Discussions

Using symlink as a workaround for ASIS limitation on volume's size ?

mguemmouri

we have a volume with asynchronous snapmirror from a FAS2020 (DOT 7.3.1) to an V3020 (DOT 7.3.1)

We also wants to use ASIS but ASIS to reduce storage space and replication traffic. BUT ASIS implies that maximum size for N3300 is 1 TB (starting with DOT 7.3.1 according to Netapp document)

BUT we have CIFS shares to migrate to the filer with a size greater than 1 TB so we could not use ASIS for that volume.

one alternative is to use symlink so that two volumes (less than 1TB) are linked together for CIFS users so that one global share is showed.

WE would to know if this feature is already deployed in production and if some best practices regarding symlink should be applied.

Is there any other work around for this ASIS limitation without using Microsoft DFS?

2 REPLIES 2

eric_barlier

Hi Moustapha,

SIS is done at WAFL layer and thus the limitation is at that layer. I dont think MS DFS will circumvent the limitations as WALF does not care what other layers are on top, however I cannot document this, its just how I understand SIS.

Let me know if you find otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Eric

amiller_1

Also, depending on the nature of the data in the volume (i.e. how much it deduplicates), it's possible that you might be able to progressively migrate the data over with dedupe in between (migrate some, dedupe, migrate more, dedupe again, etc.).

And...while it would cost money, you can upgrade a 2020 to a 2040 with a rear head swap (3x the dedup limits I believe).

Public