ONTAP Discussions

Volume Block Size and Alloc Type

Maksoftware

How can i read Block Size and Alloc Type of a Volume?

1 REPLY 1

donny_lang

WAFL's default block size is 4KB and (as far as I know) cannot be changed. If you're running 7-Mode, you can verify by running the "vol status -b <volume name>" command - I'm not sure if there is an equivalent CDOT command (couldn't find one after a quick search).  As for the allocation type, assuming that you're referring to the volume "space-guarantee" setting which controls how space is allocated for a given volume, you can do it via the ONTAP CLI by running the "volume show <volume name> -fields space-guarantee" command, or in PowerShell (handy if you have lots of volumes you'd like to collect this information for) by running the PowerShell command "Get-NcVol <volume name> | fl {$_.VolumeSpaceAttributes.SpaceGuarantee}"

Some further reading on space guarantees: https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMM1277794/html/smg/GUID-C9F36C22-8A46-4D44-B74D-54B56F834D29.html

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public