ONTAP Discussions

What is minimum size of a volume should be allowed on NAS storage?

netappmagic

User wanted to create a less than 1GB nfs share on the filer, and shared by both Window and Unix.

In my opinion, NA stoage is for Enterprise project, and the resources should be only for large amount data and envionment, not for a specific use.

What is your opinion?

4 REPLIES 4

scottgelb

Since volumes reside in an aggregate there is no performance penalty...so if the data set needs multiprotocol access and needs uptime and snapshots... 1GB may be reasonable.  What is the value of this data and do they have any other method to serve multiprotocol?  I would put everything on NetApp so am a bit biased though 🙂

ekashpureff

Magic -

I'm a big fan of using the storage for whatever projects can be served !

Min volume size is 20M.

I hope this response has been helpful to you.

At your service,

Eugene E. Kashpureff, Sr.
Independent NetApp Consultant http://www.linkedin.com/in/eugenekashpureff
Senior NetApp Instructor, IT Learning Solutions http://sg.itls.asia/netapp
(P.S. I appreciate 'kudos' on any helpful posts.)

netappmagic

This is very small task and only a size of < 1gb involved between a Window and a linux server, should not it be better to be addressed on the server level? Since I thought the storage should only for a relative large data and a relative large scale of project. For such small task, it might be not worth to increase the storage maintenance cost.

What would it be the way to address the multiprotol sharing on the server level?

scottgelb

With FlexVols it doesn't cost you much at all... and saves you having to setup SMB on Linux or NFS on Windows (blah to both of those) to get multiprotocol.   You get the uptime, performance, and small footprint for the 1GB. If you don't have excess capacity for the 1Gb then it might be an issue but don't see that..should have enough room for that 1Gb and be good.

Public