ONTAP Discussions

cDOT - Using mixed SAN / NAS SVMs

dkorns

While cDOT SVM/Vservers have always allowed any mix of NAS and SAN protocols, over time a 'best-practice' seems to have developed that one should keep these two types of protocols segregated in different SVMs. To be honest, I've never seen or read this best practices myself, but I presume it's out there somewhere because so many people tell me about it. But I also believe that sometimes best-practices are mis-interpreted and evolve into you-gotta-do-it-that-way'isms.

I'd like to understand the the history (any cDOT version evolutions) and other truths and falsehoods around this. Equally important are any gotchas like: 'Sure you can do that, but you won't be able to use feature-X). Also, are there any layered products (SnapDrive, SnapXyz) that will hit issues or become cumbersome in mixed SAN/NAS SVMs.

I can see reasons to keep them separate for usability, tidiness, and 'why not' reasons but I'm more interested in 'real gotchas' that mixing SAN/NAS might introduce.

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public