ONTAP Discussions

failed to build NIS database

sudo-s

Hello all,

I'm having issues with netapp as it fails to build NIS' database, we're not so small company and it happens to be that netapp can't handle the pace of that for unknown reason.

I've tried contacting my partner here in my country but they know so little on this when some didn't even hear about it.

is there a way to solve this issue? or employees joined our company after the 1024 letter would have permissions problems 

I'd really appreciate any help one could provide 🙂

br,

-Tal

NETAPPNISFAILURE.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

sudo-s

thanks for replying

I guess I will have to test creating two groups with the same GID hopefully this will work

br,

-T

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Ontapforrum

Hi,

From googling, it looks like this is a requirement in general for all general purpose and customized storage OSes such as NetApp.

From NetApp side : ONTAP supports a maximum of 1024 characters for each entry in the Network Interface Services (NIS) maps.

Reference in 9.x docs:
https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.pow-nfs-cg%2FGUID-1C5B2308-FDDE-434E-91DD-2A06FA5514AF.html
If you plan to use NIS for directory searches, the maps in your NIS servers cannot have more than 1,024 characters for each entry.

I guess the only workaround is: Reorganize the NIS map entries to limit each entry within 1024 characters.

Thanks!

sudo-s

@Ontapforrum wrote:

Hi,

From googling, it looks like this is a requirement in general for all general purpose and customized storage OSes such as NetApp.

From NetApp side : ONTAP supports a maximum of 1024 characters for each entry in the Network Interface Services (NIS) maps.

Reference in 9.x docs:
https://docs.netapp.com/ontap-9/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.netapp.doc.pow-nfs-cg%2FGUID-1C5B2308-FDDE-434E-91DD-2A06FA5514AF.html
If you plan to use NIS for directory searches, the maps in your NIS servers cannot have more than 1,024 characters for each entry.

I guess the only workaround is: Reorganize the NIS map entries to limit each entry within 1024 characters.

Thanks!

Hey,

first of all thanks for replying and good fate.

but to be honest you're not helping. searching google I did as well and you're just being captain obvious

I came here for the professionals to see if a solution can be made

netapp device is pretty serious and to be honest isn't cheap, I'd expect it to know how to handle an organization that holds more then few users which being in the same group.

and again thanks for the reply, still looking for answer though.

fond regards,

-Tal

Ontapforrum

Hi,

Coming to the point :  To be honest with you, this is not a NetApp limitation.  This is a NIS protocol limitation. NetApp is just implementing it.

NIS Protocol:  NIS is the current name for the service originally known as Yellow Pages (YP). NIS and YP are functionally identical.  NIS is originally part of the Network File System (NFS) software package that included commands and daemons for NFS, NIS, and other services. However, each is independent and each is configured and administered individually. NIS protocol limits maximum size to 1024 bytes. This limitation applies to all NIS map files.

Thanks!

sudo-s

thanks for replying

I guess I will have to test creating two groups with the same GID hopefully this will work

br,

-T

Public