ONTAP Discussions

move of a shelve of my NETAPP 8040

JOHANSEGERS

Hi,

I have a NETAPP 8040 running cDOT 9.1. I have 12 shelves. 8 in rack1 and 4 in rack2. The 4 in rack 2 are 1 aggregate of SSD disks.

I  now want to move physically the 4 shelves in rack 2 to rack 1. I have space enough to move first all the VMs (on Hyper-V) to a LUN on volumes already stored on shelves in rack1. So the aggregate on the shlves in rack1 will be empty (or not in use)

Can i just switch of the 4 shelves in rack2, move them to rack1 and power up ?

Or do i need to shutdown the whole Netapp for this operation ? and power up when the 4 shelves of rack2 are reconnected in rack 1 ?

Rgds,

Johan 

8 REPLIES 8

GidonMarcus

Hi

To my view, to do it in live and in supported way you will have to

1. destroy the AGGR.

2. un-own the disks (disk removeowner)

3. hot-remove the shelves https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1119629 page 24

4. hot-add the sehllves 1 by 1 https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMP1119629 page 12 

Gidi

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

JOHANSEGERS

Hi,

With live you mean the storage keeps working with all the Hyper-V hosts (and its VMs) online during the whole operation but the 4 shelves to move of course are just powered off after the destruction of the aggregate the unassignment of the disk owner ?

Best regards,

Johan

GidonMarcus

Correct.

Gidi Marcus (Linkedin) - Storage and Microsoft technologies consultant - Hydro IT LTD - UK

MKELLYSCSC

Hi Johan,

it depends on whether the 4 shelves in Rack 2 are on a separate loop/stack or not.

If they are part of a bigger loop/stack then you will almost certainly have to do a complete shutdown and then move the shelves (unless you can find a way to move the shelves without disconnecting the cables).

Hope this helps.

Michael.

GidonMarcus

He said they are made with two different disk type. so hope they on different loops. regardless there's still no problem to do hot shelf removal if the system is multi pathed. 

JOHANSEGERS

JOHANSEGERS

Hi,

The 4 shelves in RACK2 are of type SSD; in the first RACK i have 2 aggregates: 1 with SAS disks and another with SSD disks.

Is the recommended cabling in this configuration that the SSD aggregates of rack 1 and rack 2  are separate circuits or just 1 ?

Regards,

Johan

GidonMarcus
Public