ONTAP Discussions

node 2 cant join cluster (WHY)

wolfy

hello

i have just set up a cluster and i made the cluster and the node1, but when i made the seconds node and tried to join the cluster, it wont let me join because of the below error

Error: Remote ping test failed when attempting to ping 169.254.16.212 from 169.254.220.187.
Verify that this node is cabled correctly and that the cluster interfaces are using ports on the internal cluster interconnect.

i have interconnect cabling connected between both e0a and e0b ports.

i will list the net int show and net port show results below

EVL_VM01::cluster> network int show
            Logical    Status     Network            Current       Current Is
Vserver     Interface  Admin/Oper Address/Mask       Node          Port    Home
----------- ---------- ---------- ------------------ ------------- ------- ----
Cluster
            EVL_VM01-01_clus1
                         up/up    169.254.16.212/16  EVL_VM01-01   e0a     true
            EVL_VM01-01_clus2
                         up/up    169.254.97.148/16  EVL_VM01-01   e0b     true
EVL_VM01
            EVL_VM01-01_mgmt1
                         up/up    10.156.100.10/16   EVL_VM01-01   e0M     true
            cluster_mgmt up/up    10.156.100.1/16    EVL_VM01-01   e0M     true

ill post the error message below

Enter the name of the cluster you would like to join [EVL_VM01]:

Joining cluster EVL_VM01                                                        

Trying to join cluster again as previous attempt failed ..Error: Remote ping test failed when attempting to ping 169.254.16.212 from 169.254.220.187.
Verify that this node is cabled correctly and that the cluster interfaces are using ports on the internal cluster interconnect.

To verify, run the ping command from the CLI to ensure each cluster interface can ping all others. For example, "network ping -lif <local cluster lif> -vserver Cluster -destination <remote node cluster IP> -verbose true -show-detail true".

Also, verify that the switchless cluster setting is properly configured for your cluster configuration with the (privilege: advanced) "network options switchless-cluster show" command.  If the setting is incorrect, change it with the "network options switchless-cluster modify" command.

Resolve the issue, then try the command again.

i have the netmask and DFG set corrrectly so i am really confused

if anyone can help it would be more than appreciated

6 REPLIES 6

SpindleNinja

what's the model number of the twinax cable you're using for the cluster interconnects?  

wolfy

its an testing environment so we just gathered up a few spare cables and part.

were using a standar 1G Ethernet cable x2 that connects to both controllers e0a and e0b ports.

last week when i tried it with FC ports (e1b and e1a), the 2nd node was able to join fine.

i dunno if i recreated the cluster wrong or what but maybe the cable? might not be compatible.

wolfy

by the way, are you allowed to interconnect and also join cluster via 1G NIC? or does it have to be done via 10G FC or SFP

SpindleNinja

I've seen it done on the 2240 model,  but it's not optimal.   What model controller is this? 

How'd you manage to create cluster lifs on FC?   (though i'll asume UTA ports in CNA mode)

wolfy

before i set the cluster port that starts with 169.XXX on to e1b and e1a (FC) ports but i created the lifs on the 1g ports before.

now im trying to configure the cluster from scratch and cant join the seconds node to the cluster using the 1G ports

SpindleNinja

Looking back through your post history, it's a 2240.  Just for clarification those aren't FC ports,  Anything in labled eXx is functioning as ethernet.

On the second controller,   after you select to join an existing cluster.  Are the network LIFs being generated on the correct ports?   

Public