ONTAP Discussions

snapmirror quiesce *

duanebachi1

hello,

I am preparing for an upgrade of CDOT from 8.3.2 to 8.3.2P9. I want to quiesce all SM relationships. Is it simply by running

snapmirror quiesce *

and then

snapmirror resume *

What did you guys do in this scenario?

I don't understand why NetApp did not make this easier in CDOT, compared to 7-mode

How about deduplication what is your experience?

2 REPLIES 2

colsen

The safest approach is to just follow the procedure outlined in your upgrade advisor report:

(a) Determine the destination path for each SnapMirror relationship using the command:
snapmirror show
(b) For each destination volume, enter the following command to allow existing SnapMirror transfers to finish.
snapmirror quiesce -destination-path destination
If there are no active transfers for the SnapMirror relationship, this command sets its status to Quiesced . If the relationship has active transfers, the status is set to Quiescing until thetransfer is completed, and then the status becomes Quiesced
(c) Verify that all SnapMirror relationships are quiesced:
snapmirror show -status !Quiesced
This command displays any SnapMirror relationships that are not quiesced.
(d) If any SnapMirror relationships are currently transferring, do one of the following options:
(i) Wait for the transfers to complete before performing the Data ONTAP upgrade.
(ii) Stop the transfers by entering the following command:
snapmirror abort -destination-path destination -h

If you have dedupes running, I'd issue a:

volume efficiency show -vserver * -op-status Active

And then just issue a stop command on any active processes.  Deduplication is opportunistic and will chew through CPU and such which isn't necessarily a good thing during an NDU.

Hope that helps,

(BTW - the previous comment about going to 9.1P2 is spot on - lots of good stuff in 9+)

Chris

JGPSHNTAP

Before considering going to 8.3.2P1, I would highly suggest reviewing 9.1p1.  Lots of more features.

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public