ONTAP Discussions

snapmirror to tape

kumars66

Dear Experts,

I'm beginner to NetApp. Please excuse if this is known topic.

We are in plan to implement remote tape backup from source volume which is available in another site. Curently it's doing rsync to another destination from where it's backed upt to tape.

I don't want dual backup b'cpz it consumes more space at destination cluster and wish to directly copy it to tape. Can't find any relevant document

Please guide me best method over WAN. Environment running with cdot 8.3.2 and Netbackup 5.0 version.

4 REPLIES 4

NAYABSK

Hi Kumar, 

Thank you for writing to NetApp communities and regardinig you query did you check the SM tape KB ?

How to perform a SnapMirror to Tape, using Veritas NetBackup

Data backup to tape using the SMTape engine

Thanks, 

Nayab

kumars66

Many Thanks for your reply.

Indeed, I had look on the KB article, not sure if this works well over WAN. I'll propose this idea here in my environment and start working on it.

Meanwhile, please let me know if any drawbacks this feature got apart from the details from link,

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1368865/html/GUID-B7FB70B3-2F02-44B1-9574-1390C303E15A.html

Thank you 🙂

NAYABSK

Hi Kumar, 

Seems your are looking in to an old KB. Can take a look in to the Ontep 8.3 Tape Backup guide to understand more and it works over WAN but needs to have double the bandwidth of what you are using i would suggest to have deduplication enabled for this.

Data Protection Tape Backup and Recovery Guide 8.3

I see you are using Netbackup version 5.0 Which will definetly won't support the NDMP backup with NetApp cluster mode. I would suggest to upgrade NBU to make things easier as performing NDMP backup is much easier ( Because you can Control the Schedules, Backups and moreover can restart failed jobs ). 

Thanks,

Nayab

kumars66

Hello Nayab,

Thank you again 🙂

I will look for the possibilities and write back here about the outcome.

Public