ONTAP Hardware

Direct attached tape library not recognized by ONTAP

jan123

Hello

In my test environment I'm trying to connect ADIC/Scalar 1000 or ADIC/Scalar 10k library but it is not recognized by the ONTAP 9.9.1 (FAS 2750 FC connection). I can see drives on LUNs 1 and 2 but no media changer on LUN 0. I found a lot about how to modify tape configuration file to add nonqualified drives but nothing about libraries. Is there a library configuration file or how to get a lib to be recognized by ONTAP?

Thank you

Jan

6 REPLIES 6

hmoubara

Hello @jan123

In a tape library configuration, you must configure a tape drive or medium changer on LUN 0 of a target port for ONTAP to discover all medium changers and tape drives on that target port. 

You can also check the below kb:

https://kb.netapp.com/Advice_and_Troubleshooting/Data_Protection_and_Security/NDMP/Unable_to_discover_the_tape_drives_or_tape_libraries

Thanks

jan123

Yes. The media changer is on LUN 0.  I have seen this article before. The problem is that the tape drives and libraries are detected and added automatically and you cannot do much. You can mess with the tape conf file but I don't know how to add media changer to a file the same way as the tape drive. Any ideas?

Thank you

hmoubara

Hello @jan123 

You correct it is usually detected or added automatically. check the below documentation and verify communication as listed below:

https://docs.netapp.com/us-en/ontap/pdfs/sidebar/Manage_tape_drives.pdf

Hope this help.

Thanks 

jan123

Hello and thank you for the replies. I have check all of the verification commands. But if the library is not detected they show nothing. But the storage have to see LUN 0 because otherwise (according to the doc) it wouldn't be able to detect the drives on LUN 1 and 2. But there is no way (as far as I know) to check what the storage sees on LUN0. Even if it is non qualified media changer the storage knows there is something. But I don't know how to make it qualified (as I can do it with drives) or at least see what is there. Any idea of any commands may be on a deeper level (systemshell)? 

Thank you 

jan123

Hello @hmoubara 

Do you have please any other ideas? Or could you please explain in more detail how ontap recognizes and adds media changers?

Thank you

hmoubara

Hello @jan123 

Ontap would automatically detect, you can try to bounce the port (down then up). If you are still having issue; i would recommend to create a case with support for further assistance and troubleshooting.

Thanks 

Public