ONTAP Hardware

FAS 2040 - Initial Setup

gregchait

Hello

I am stumbling out of the blocks on the initial configuration of a FAS 2040 connected (SAS & ACP) to a single DS4243.

I power on and connect via serial cable.  Initial research/documentation led me to believe a wizard would start after post and this is not the case.  I am also concerned because the post states the SAS controller failed and there is no link light (perhaps a sign of larger problems).

I assume that I would configure the ethernet port to the direct right of the ACP connection (e0P) with an IP address for management.  But when I navigate to "show devices" in the terminal session, I only see e0P and e0a thru e0d. 

I could not find a clear setup guide through NetApp's documentation.  If anyone can begin pointing me in the right direction, it would be appreciated...

Greg C.

5 REPLIES 5

HENRYPAN2

Hi Greg,

If you drop me an email to henrypan1@gmail.com, I'll reply with a cheat doc for your ref. on filer initial setup.

Good luck

Henry

gregchait

Upon calling support, I was informed my issue is the FAS 2040 shipped with no drives populated.  I'll need to get the disks populated and proceed.

Thanks
Greg C.

gregchait

The issues I encountered ended up being related to the SAS cable.  Fairly unhappy with NetApp phone support for incorrectly telling me the FAS 2040 must have drives in it.  I realize it's an uncommon conversation, but this has thrown me in the wrong direction for days.

Greg C.

HENRYPAN2

Poor Greg,

You may wish to voice your unhappiness to the duty manager.

Good luck & good w/e

Henry

gregchait

Henry

Appreciated.  I won't make a big deal about it, but I took the emphatic "No." to my question of, "There's no way this configuration will work without drives in the FAS 2040?" at face value at the time.  Luckily I continued to work through resources in my company and found a resource that disputed this claim.  At the end of the day it was a red herring to my original problem.  I'll chalk this up to experience...

Greg C.

Public