ONTAP Hardware

Hung Controller BIOS

JOHNLAUF1

Hello,

I have read other posts on this subject and tried their solutions to no avail except for reflashing the BIOS which they do not want to do at this time.

Condition: Controller A does not boot as shown thru a serial connection, Controller B is fine. NVMEM is not protected

Investigation: BMC reports the BIOS is in a Hung state, rear NVMEM LED steady Orange

Steps Taken: Powered off NetApp, removed controller, then battery, waited ~ 20 seconds and re-installed - no change

Reset the controller to boot off the backup BIOS - no change

Verified battery state thru BMC - ready

Sensor reports show no abberations

After the reset, 'system show' reports the BIOS in an Unknown state and then transitions to a Hung state

Accessing controller A thru the browser correctly states it has been taken over by 'B'

If a reflash is the next to last resort (last being RMA) please on the procedures.

Thank-you - I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere

2 REPLIES 2

Jeff_Yao

i recommend you to open a case and let ngs help you on that.

i believe reflashing is the only way to fix this. it wont be harmful to ur alive head.

bhanojiisit

Looks like you need to RMA the Controller

http://now.netapp.com/eservice/submitRMA.do?moduleName=RMA

You can give it a try and pull it out and reseat it after waiting for 10 secs. With ab it of luck it gets past the error. Otherwise see above.

Regards,

Bhanoji

Public