'schedule': '-',
                'state': 'disabled',
                'storage_efficiency_mode': 'default',
                'type': 'regular',
                'volume_path': '/vol/test_sis'},
 'name': 'test_sis',
 'svm': {'name': 'ansibleSVM'}}

Setting this in PATCH - storage/volumes/{uuid}
{'efficiency': {'compaction': 'inline', 'compression': 'inline', 'dedupe': 'background'}}
but compression configured as both.

{
 'efficiency': {'compaction': 'inline',
                'compression': 'both',
                'cross_volume_dedupe': 'none',
                'dedupe': 'background',
                'last_op_begin': 'Sun Dec 11 00:00:02 2022',
                'last_op_end': 'Sun Dec 11 00:00:02 2022',
                'last_op_size': 0,
                'last_op_state': 'Success',
                'op_state': 'idle',
                'policy': {'name': 'default'},
                'progress': 'Idle for 59:39:02',
                'schedule': '-',
                'state': 'enabled',
                'storage_efficiency_mode': 'default',
                'type': 'regular',
                'volume_path': '/vol/test_sis'},
 'name': 'test_sis',
 'svm': {'name': 'ansibleSVM'}}

is this expected?
please point any document that explains how to configure desired efficiency option.

Thanks,

Mohan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RobertBlackhart

I don't have a complete answer for you, but the REST documentation says this:

Storage efficiency is used to remove duplicate blocks in the data and to compress the data. Efficiency has deduplication, compression, cross volume deduplication, compaction, policy-name, enabled, application_io_size, compression_type and storage_efficiency_mode options. On All Flash systems, all efficiencies are enabled by default, on volume creation. Options such as "background/inline/both" are treated as both, which means both background and inline are enabled for any efficiency option. The option "none" disables both background and inline efficiency. Application-io-size and compression-type decides type of compression behavior in the system. Storage efficiency mode decides if the system is to run in default/efficient mode. Detailed information about each field is available under efficiency object for storage efficiency fields.

To enable any efficiency option on all-flash or FAS systems, background deduplication is always enabled.

I underlined a part that seemed relevant to your question. It's not clear to me if that means it will override your chosen value for compression. You may need to reach out to support to get a more specific answer from an expert these features.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

RobertBlackhart

I don't have a complete answer for you, but the REST documentation says this:

Storage efficiency is used to remove duplicate blocks in the data and to compress the data. Efficiency has deduplication, compression, cross volume deduplication, compaction, policy-name, enabled, application_io_size, compression_type and storage_efficiency_mode options. On All Flash systems, all efficiencies are enabled by default, on volume creation. Options such as "background/inline/both" are treated as both, which means both background and inline are enabled for any efficiency option. The option "none" disables both background and inline efficiency. Application-io-size and compression-type decides type of compression behavior in the system. Storage efficiency mode decides if the system is to run in default/efficient mode. Detailed information about each field is available under efficiency object for storage efficiency fields.

To enable any efficiency option on all-flash or FAS systems, background deduplication is always enabled.

I underlined a part that seemed relevant to your question. It's not clear to me if that means it will override your chosen value for compression. You may need to reach out to support to get a more specific answer from an expert these features.

Public