OpenStack Discussions

Deprecated Driver in Icehouse

JOE_TOPJIAN

Hello,

I have an OpenStack environment using a NetApp storage appliance. This environment (KVM, Ubuntu 12.04) was piloted with Essex and moved to Grizzly. The driver we're currently using in Grizzly is "cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.iscsi.NetAppISCSIDriver".

I'm beginning to plan a migration path to Icehouse. From speaking to Rob Esker in Atlanta as well as reading the OpenStack NetApp docs, this driver is deprecated. I was able to find the github repo for a working Havana version of the driver, but I'm not sure what to do about moving to Icehouse.

Does an Icehouse version of this driver exist? If not, what are my options? The options I can think of are:

1. Stay at Havana

2. Layover at Havana and migrate to a different backend.

If I choose the second option, how much user disruption would this cause? Would attached volumes be migrated and then immediately swapped out on the instance? Or does the user need to detach, an admin migrate, and then the user reattach?

Thanks,

Joe

2 REPLIES 2

rcallawa

Joe,

There certainly is a driver with the function you are looking for within the Icehouse release - we have moved (in the Havana release) from having a model where we had 4 individual drivers (7-Mode iSCSI, NFS; CDOT iSCSI, NFS) to a model where we have a single driver (cinder.volume.drivers.netapp.common.NetAppDriver), where the family (7-mode, CDOT, E-series) and protocol (iSCSI, NFS) are configuration choices rather than independent drivers.

Let me know if you still have questions. Thanks!

JOE_TOPJIAN

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

I forgot to mention that I also utilize a DFM server with this environment.

From reviewing the unified driver, I'm unsure how I would translate my current configuration options. For example, I use the following netapp_* settings in cinder.conf:

netapp_wsdl_url

netapp_login

netapp_password

netapp_storage_service

netapp_storage_service_prefix

netapp_server_hostname

netapp_server_port

I'm unable to find some of them in the Icehouse drivers, but see that they were added to the NetApp-specific Havana git repo.

How would I specify options such as "netapp_wsdl_url", "netapp_storage_service", and "netapp_storage_service_prefix" with the standard Icehouse unified driver?

Thanks,

Joe

Public