Simulator Discussions

9.8 Simulator Unstable, Will not reboot

Matt_Elvers_ProLion

My 9.8 fresh install simulator will not stay up and running.  Vol0 is expanded and not full.  When system reboots, simulator will not restart.  Gets stuck at the screen below.  Any suggestions?

Matt_Elvers_ProLion_0-1616599511471.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Matt_Elvers_ProLion

So changing the memory to 8gb has fixed this issue.  Because it wasn't done before the first power on, I needed to change it in VMware and set the variable for the memory at the LOADER prompt.

Side note, what caused the SIM to become unstable and crash was having the firewall turned on at the domain controller.  Found this little nugget in this blog... NetApp simulator 9.6 - Installation and Configuration (nazaudy.com) 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Matt_Elvers_ProLion

This is last thing I see on console before system hangs and dies...

Matt_Elvers_ProLion_0-1616676931924.png

Matt_Elvers_ProLion

So changing the memory to 8gb has fixed this issue.  Because it wasn't done before the first power on, I needed to change it in VMware and set the variable for the memory at the LOADER prompt.

Side note, what caused the SIM to become unstable and crash was having the firewall turned on at the domain controller.  Found this little nugget in this blog... NetApp simulator 9.6 - Installation and Configuration (nazaudy.com) 

zavetskyb

2 fresh installs and I see same behavior.  i upped the mem to 8092 in vmware and have powered it on.  Previously it just hung after about 15 min being up.  Had to power cycle it.   Adding things like svms and vols from gui was mightly slow before she hung totally.  Hoping the mem increase fixes it.

zavetskyb

So like a previous poster said, change the mem to 8192 in vmware and boot to loader, change the sim bios mem to the proper value, which is like 8192x1024 then in my case had to setenv a variable where rdb was corrupt, back to 0, and she booted and seems to be way faster.  fyi

Public