Hello... I am having fits with CDOT vSIM 8.2.1, trying to join a second node to the cluster. Here is what I have done:
1.set, and a net switch and port set. The cluster set does not have a NIC assigned, but the port set does.
2. Installed vSIM CDOT 8.2.1
3. Converted to single vmdk file
4. Converted to template
5. Deployed three vSIM boxes, dctcf01-01, dctcf01-03, and dctcf01-05 (leave even numbers for possible HA testing)
5. Using systemshell, removed existing discs, and created four shelves of 14 type 36 discs.
6. On reboot went to VLOADER and: a. Changed SYS_SERIAL_NUM of nodes three and five [Node01 - 4082368511, 4082368513, 4082368515) b. Changed bootarg.nvram.sysid of nodes three and five [Node01 - 4082368511, 4082368513, 4082368515)
7. Created cluster dctcf01 on node 01
8. Tried to add dctcf01-03 to cluster
During Node Check, received error: "Cluster join membership failed."
"Restarting Cluster Setup"
I am befuddled as to what to do next. I've been playing with this for weeks now. Does anyone have an answer?
Troubleshooting cluster join is interesting. Cluster join can fail for a bunch of reasons, most of them problems on the cluster network. All cluster lifs must be able to communicate with all other cluster lifs, MTUs must match and packets can't be fragmented by the switch. In the sim, use MTU 1500 and put all the cluster network ports on the same isolated network.
Check the vswitch/virtual network setup. Cluster ports should be on the cluster network (which you may need to create) or on the host-only net if you run them on workstation. e0a/e0b are default cluster network ports on the sims.
During the failed attempt it should have auto assigned IPs to the cluster lifs. On the node that failed to join, can you ping the cluster lifs on the working node?
Were there any other errors or warnings during the join?
Thank you Parisi, I've saved the output to the above BOX link.. Node 01 has a management address because it formed the cluster, but 02 doesn't so I had to cut and paste screen shots from VMware console.
So you will see a .txt file from Node 01, but an .rtf with screen shots from node 02.