Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Simulator Discussions

Clustered-ONTAP issue: Incomplete file is displayed after restore

PETR_DAVID

Hi!

I am developing FPOLICY server for Clustered ONTAP NetApp 8.3. I am using Data ONTAP Simulator. We are using 133 bytes long shortcut files (offline).

When I opened shortcut - offline file (for example archived text file) in notepad I will get event to my FPolicy server, I copy original file to shortcut path (replace shortcut with original content), remove offline attribute and after this I will send reply ALLOW (File notification response) to Clustered-ONTAP. After this is content displayed in notepad and I see only 133 bytes of original content. Smiley Sad

But, in this time is file size 9KB. I can see file size in opened network share over CIFS in Windows Explorer. I closed the notepad. When I wait some time (maybe 1 minute without any file operations) and I open file again (is without offline attribute and file size 9KB) than I can see full content in notepad.

I don't know why I don't see the full content of original file however the file content si restored, offline file attribute is removed and ALLOW notification response was sent. 

I try one test where I create shortcut file with file size of original file (9KB with white spaces) and after I open this offline file (doubleclick on file at share, replacing content, removing offline attr., ALLOW sent) I can see full content of original file. Maybe there is some delay with refreshing file size of files internally in Clustered-ONTAP storage. Is this behavior the same with physical NETAPP storage?

So I think that SPARSE (size faking) may help. I want to try to use sparse attribute but I got: FSCTL_SET_SPARSE OK, FSCTL_SET_ZERO_DATA ERROR: Incorrect function. (0x00000001).

Is sparse supported on Clustered-ONTAP storage?

Thanks for helping me.

0 REPLIES 0
Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public