Simulator Discussions

DATA ONTAP 8.3 Cluster on Esx Getting Error Disk not found after power on the vm .

SAli

DATA ONTAP 8.3 Cluster on Esx Getting Error Disk not found after power on the vm .

Error :

[ Failed to start the virtual machine.
Module DiskEarly power on failed.
Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/d1c0391d-a50882a4/RHEL_Test/vsim_esx-cm/DataONTAP-sim.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.
The system cannot find the file specified
VMware ESX cannot find the virtual disk "/vmfs/volumes/d1c0391d-a50882a4/RHEL_Test/vsim_esx-cm/DataONTAP-sim.vmdk". Verify the path is valid and try again. ]

7 REPLIES 7

Gerg

I had the same problem today and eventually resolved it by following the recommended solution in this thread.

To quote 

The Fix: all you have to do is ssh into your host and run this command from the cli:  

# vmkload_mod multiextent

Unfortunately after a ESXi host reboot the multiextent module unloads and you have to perform this again to get your Sims to boot. If anyone can find a way to make this persistent with a switch or write a script that makes it load upon host reboot. I'm sure everyone would be very thankful.

~#~

I'm running 8.3 RC1 on ESXi 5.5 U2. As soon as I'd done the vmkload_mod multiextent I was back in business.

Cheers,

Gerg

SAli

Yup Excellent i was able to resolve it . thanks   . I didnot try permanent solution but its non prod dev esxi and no plan for reboot now but will try the perm solution later some time. 

cedric_renauld

Hi, Guys

Another Way to have some Sim running with ESX 5,5 ....

Put the sim files on a disk accesible by the vcenter, and with the Vmware Converter do a convertion to the vSphere cluster with the files in sources  ...

And dollow the documentations of SIM installation

Enjoy

shatfield

And another way:

Delete the 250gb disk on IDE1:1, and replace it with a new one.  Thin provisioned is ok.

As long as its done before the first boot, the sim will partition it during init and mount it on /sim

Brantley_R

To fix the problem permanantely, do this.  Use vmkfstools to basically clone off the VDMK into a format that doesn't require the multiextent module loaded.

(http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2036572)

To load the vmkernel multiextent module:
  1. Open a console to the ESXi host. For more information, see Using Tech Support Mode in ESXi 4.1 and ESXi 5.x (1017910).
  2. Run this command to load the multiextent module:

# vmkload_mod multiextent
  3. Check if any of your virtual machine disks are of a hosted type. Hosted disks end with the -s00x.vmdk extension.
  4. Convert virtual disks in hosted format to one of the VMFS formats.

To convert virtual disks in hosted format to one of the VMFS formats:
    1. Clone source hosted disk to a new disk using one of these commands:

For a thick vmdk disk:
      • # vmkfstools -i VM-name.vmdk <VM-name-new-disk>.vmdk -d zeroedthick
      • # vmkfstools -i VM-name.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/destination_datastore/vmfolder/<VM-name-new-disk>.vmdk -d zeroedthick
      For a thin vmdkdisk:
      • # vmkfstools -i VM-name.vmdk <VM-name-new-disk>.vmdk -d thin
      • # vmkfstools -i VM-name.vmdk /vmfs/volumes/destination_datastore/vmfolder/<VM-name-new-disk>.vmdk -d thin

2. Delete the hosted disk after successful cloning using the command:

# vmkfstools -U VM-name.vmdk
    3. Rename the cloned VMFS type new disk to the original disk name using the command:

vmkfstools -E VM-name-new-disk.vmdk VM-name.vmdk

5. Run this command to unload the multiextent module:

# vmkload_mod -u multiextent

Brantley_R

To be specfic, use vmkfstools to clone DataONTAP-sim.vmdk

shatfield

If you do a lot of work with simulators, its easier to just persistently enable multiextent:

add the following:

localcli system module load -m multiextent

to this file:

/etc/rc.local.d/local.sh

right before this line:

exit 0

Credit to William Lam:

http://www.virtuallyghetto.com/2013/05/executing-commands-during-boot-up-in.html

Public