Simulator Discussions

DOT 9 Simulator

BlueMedora

Now that OnTap 9 is GA. Is there are Simulator version coming out soon? 

If there's a beta version, my company would like to take a look as well. 

Thanks, 

Craig 

13 REPLIES 13

OhmR

In utility toolchest you will find links for ONTAP 9 simulator 

Simulate ONTAP for ONTAP 8.x and 9.x

http://mysupport.netapp.com/tools/download/ECMLP2538456DT.html?productID=61970

dkorns

I notice for 9.0 only the VMware Workstation/Player/Fusion ova is provided and not an ESX flavor. Is that an indication that:

a) users who need an ESX simulator should look at ONTAP Select?

b) -or- the ESX flavor is yet-to-come?

dkorns

Never mind ... I just noticed due to some odd alphabetic sorting, the ONTAP 9.0 ESX ova is down at the bottom of the list of available ova's (where-as the ws/player/fusion is sorted up top).

SeanHatfield

There's very little difference between the two.  The last time I compared them, the ESX version had 8gb ram with 4gb drives, and the desktop version had 5gb ram with 1gb drives.  They've also got different serials/sysids, so I sometimes use one of each if I want a 2 node cluster in a hurry.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

dkorns

Good point Sean. That made me check something else and raised a question for me. I always thought vsims came with 56 disks. Out-of-the-box default was the vsim only owned the first 28 with the assumption being the second 28 were for the HA partner. But I'm comparing a pair of 832 vsims, one on Fusion the other on ESX (built from the respective -netapp- and -esx- ova files ... I think). My Fusion vsim only has 28 disks, period. I know how to dropdown to 7m shell and 'disk show -a' and 'disk show -n' to confirm there aren't some hidden unassigned drives and all I see is the 28. My esx 832 vsim has 56 drives (all assigned to node-01 as I routinely build single node clusters and do a 'disk assign all' to get them all.

Could this difference (my Fusion vsim only having 28 drives) be a result of choosing single-node cluster??? When you tell 'cluster setup' you are picking single-node how would it 'get rid' of the 2nd set of 28? ... seems odd or different than it used to be. Or are the other 28 drives super-hidden from me?

SeanHatfield

The disk population really just depends on what the person who built it configured with.  On the first boot you can see/adjust what they picked in the loader:

printenv bootarg.sim.vdevinit
printenv bootarg.vm.sim.vdevinit

On the first boot they are set with value tripplets that feed into vsim_makedisks.  Once booted/processed they are flipped to false.   Thats why IDE1:1 can be blank for the first boot.  It gets auto-partitioned and these disks get created during the first boot cycle.

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

SeanHatfield

I went back and looked at all the esx variants since 83rc1, and it looks like the default disk population on the esx versions switched at 8.3.1.  Since that rev its been set to 

31:14:0,31:14:1,31:14:2,31:14:3

Which is great if you need 4gb drives, but may need some adjustments if you want something else, like flashpools, since all the shelves are fully populated from the start.

Prior to that it used

23:14:0,23:14:1

Which is still whats set by default in the workstation/fusion version.

AMARCIONEK1

Deployed the Simulator. Is there something one needs to do to enable the HTTP GUI?  The options look different than older versions:

ONTAP9-1::system services web> system services web show
 External Web Services: true
    HTTP Protocol Port: 80
   HTTPS Protocol Port: 443
          HTTP Enabled: false

There is no options to enable http.

SeanHatfield

It doesn't appear that you have completed cluster setup.

Once you do, then you will see HTTP Enabled: true 

Then you should be able to connect via the cluster management lif, which you can find in the output of this command.

network interface show -role cluster-mgmt

AMARCIONEK1

ONTAP9-1::> network interface show -role cluster-mgmt
Logical Status Network Current Current Is
Vserver Interface Admin/Oper Address/Mask Node Port Home
----------- ---------- ---------- ------------------ ------------- ------- ----
ONTAP9-1
cluster_mgmt up/up 192.168.27.1/16 ONTAP9-1-01 e0a true

This is a single node cluster. I just tired restarting the VM as well in case that was it. Http is still disabled and opening a web browser to there I get connection refused.  Maybe I should just try again.

AMARCIONEK1

ONTAP9-1::> network interface show -role cluster-mgmt
Logical Status Network Current Current Is
Vserver Interface Admin/Oper Address/Mask Node Port Home
----------- ---------- ---------- ------------------ ------------- ------- ----
ONTAP9-1
cluster_mgmt up/up 192.168.27.1/16 ONTAP9-1-01 e0a true

Just tried restarting the VM. HTTP still disabled and connection refused via the web browser, although I can ping it.

AMARCIONEK1

Wait...scratch that. HTTPS is enabled and that works for the GUI. Sorry about that!

SeanHatfield

Ah right.  My test cluster has it enabled.

set adv;system services web modify -http-enabled true
Public