Simulator Discussions

ESXi 5.1 Install Issues

BTANSECO1

Hello,

I downloaded both the ONTAP v8.1.4 and ONTAP 8.2 install files from http://support.netapp.com/NOW/download/tools/simulator/ontap/8.X/ for ESX (7-mode). I've copied the zip archives to a datastore for our cluster and extract the files. I'm able to add the .vmx to the vCenter inventory, but I'm unable to start the VM's. The error message states that the DataONTAP-sim.vmdk cannot be found even though it exists within the directory. This happens on both v.8.1.4 and v8.2.

I spoke to some VMware folks on the Freenode IRC channel and they stated that the VMDK isn't in the proper format for ESXi.

Has anyone else ran into this issue and if so, what were your steps to resolve the issue?

Thanks

Edit:

Here is the vCenter Error when attempting to power on the VM:

An error was received from the ESX host while powering on VM DataONTAP-8.1.4-sim.

Cannot open the disk '/vmfs/volumes/7c16da22-e4acaf03/vsim_esx-7m/DataONTAP-sim.vmdk' or one of the snapshot disks it depends on.

The system cannot find the file specified

VMware ESX cannot find the virtual disk "/vmfs/volumes/7c16da22-e4acaf03/vsim_esx-7m/DataONTAP-sim.vmdk". Verify the path is valid and try again.

I've confirmed the DataONTAP-sim.vmdk file is present within the VM's directory.

2 REPLIES 2

rkunkelrvbd

Look for other threads about the below:

I did not write this:

# vmkload_mod multiextent

Disk changes made:

/vsim_esx-7m # vmkfstools -i DataONTAP-sim.vmdk DataONTAP-new-sim.vmdk -d thin

Destination disk format: VMFS thin-provisioned
Cloning disk 'DataONTAP-sim.vmdk'...
Clone: 100% done.

/vsim_esx-7m # mv DataONTAP-sim.vmdk DataONTAP-sim-old.vmdk

/vsim_esx-7m # mv DataONTAP-new-sim.vmdk DataONTAP-sim.vmdk

vsim_esx-7m # vmkload_mod -u multiextent

Module multiextent successfully unloaded

VM powering up!

begineer

use vmware converter when uploading or transfering.

works for me..

Public