Simulator Discussions

ETA on 8.3 Sim

cbested

Hi,

The subject of this thread covers what I'm looking for. If we don't have a date, can anyone at least advise if imminent or a long way off?

39 REPLIES 39

richard5

I've just attempted an upgrade from a vsim running 8.2.2P1 to 8.3RC1 but it wasn't sucessfull. Tried zeroing all disks but seem to get disk errors after the zeroing completes.

shatfield

Something has changed in the fake nvram implementation.  full/partner/panic works, just not fake.    And it needs more ram than 8.2.x did.  Hoping we'll get an official vsim soon.  The upgrade is bumpy.

dirk_oogjen

We just got an email from NetApp in which they say they will try to have a 8.3 simulator ready by the end of this coming week (around friday Nov 21)

LEON_IC_UVA

Hi all,

Any news yet? 

wesprather

BUMP

merick

Any updates here? The silence is deafening...

mdervovic

Someone at NetApp told me, that the ONTAP 8.3 Sim will probably come with the GA of the regular 8.3 DOT (hope not).

aborzenkov
In the past SIM versions available for download corresponded to GA releases, so it sounds plausible.

shatfield

Hope not.  Its been rev'd for RCs in the past.  

bobshouseofcards

Heard through the grapevine that an RC2 is being planned for 8.3 - which might also explain why no SIM yet...

melvery

It's available now Smiley Happy

shatfield

Where?

richard5

shatfield

Found it.  Stale cache.

Interesting updates.  Structurally, vnvram is in full mode (persistent) with 256m, and the VM has 5gb allocated.  Still VHA, single node, etc.  Fake mode vnvram is what was killing vsim upgrades, and it was guarenteed to crater with less than 2gb.  So the sizing seems much more reasonable.  A single node footprint for a laptop install should still function on ~2gb with 64mb vnvram.  But it will panic occassionally if you go too skinny or add more nodes.

Was hoping to see HA.  Wonder if it still works...

merick

Has anyone gotten SSD partitioning to work? I added 14 of the type 35, 500MB SSD drives (the 100MB SSD won't work), but everytime I go to add them to an SSD cache pool the simulator will panic when it tries to initialize.

merick

This is what shows in the log:

Event :
raid.partition.disk.fail: Disk partition failed on Disk v3.29 Shelf - Bay - [NETAPP VD-500MB-SS-520 0042] S/N [07904612], error CR_NOT_SPARE_DISK, additional error info (). 

Message Name :
raid.partition.disk.fail

Sequence Number :

Description :
This message occurs when an attempt to partition a disk fails. The error and error_info fields indicate the reason why the attempt failed. 

Action :
(NONE)

LEON_IC_UVA

Hi all,

Upgrade from 8.2.1 to 8.2.2P1 works without problems. 8.2.2P1 to 8.3RC1 fails. So c'mon NetApp give me my 8.3 sim.

VictorF

As we have already started talking about 8.3 feaures, it would really be good to have an 8.3 simulator to try and demo them...

merick

Where is this?! We REALLY need it to hit ASAP.

GLENDONLOWDER

I deployed last night and added additional drives in the loader and then booted and did then 4'd it and it came up saying [error: "setup" is not a valid command] and wouldn't let me log in

but that might be because the console timed out before I ran the setup script.

I'm attempting again.

HP DL360g5

4 Quad 3.0

36Gb Ram

ESXi 5.5 update 2

cDOT 8.3 VMX 10

P.S. Anyone else notice the new simulator requirements. 8Gb ram min? it's going to be harder for peolple to run on on their laptop...

Public