Simulator Discussions

Windows asking for login credentials while accessing cifs shares.

SUNIL_PAL

I recently created a cifs share to access from my windows server 2003. When i go to map network drive and provide the directory windows asks for login credentials. I tried the default root (of netapp ofcourse) but it says unsuccessful login. I created another user on netapp within administrator group and the same thing happened.

I created the share by following instuctions on this link - https://communities.netapp.com/thread/21466 (volume was created so i started from qtrees)

Also, is it neccessary to create a qtree to add a cifs/nfs share? does the name has to be the same? can one qtree hold more than one shares?

I apologize for asking such basic question but m new to netapp and all documents i read are not really helpful. Whatever knowledge i get is from here.

4 REPLIES 4

cedric_renauld

Hi,

First, Root canot connect to Cifs Share, over windows station.

seconf, no the qtree isnt necessary to made a share

third, for windows authentification, correctly, you must have an NTFS security on your Volume or Qtree

and last one, Have you correctly do the CIFS setup ? And at this time the controler may ask to you to create an CIFS loacl administrator, righy ?

Could you send us the result of : cofs domaininfo

SUNIL_PAL

Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the reply. The result of cifs domaininfo was

Filer NETAPPSIM is not a member of a domain.

Also i was not asked for the creation of CIFS local administrator. The volume and qtree both have ntfs type security. As i said all I did was followed the steps given here https://communities.netapp.com/thread/21466. Also, I think i missed a few steps while performing cifs setup.

anji_singathi

Hi Sunil,

Please check entries in /etc/passwd.

It should be like below..

root:_J9..RyO.yDrI4rOS14k:0:1::/:

pcuser::65534:65534::/:

nobody::65535:65535::/:

ftp::65533:65533:FTP Anonymous:/home/ftp:

cedric_renauld

Hi,

Normaly Root is an unix user's reserved

Have you do ths CIFS setup ?

if yes during this setup the NetApp ask to you an Administrator Password  ...

Can you try to connect with this account ?

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public