Effective December 3, NetApp adopts Microsoft’s Business-to-Customer (B2C) identity management to simplify and provide secure access to NetApp resources.
For accounts that did not pre-register (prior to Dec 3), access to your NetApp data may take up to 1 hour as your legacy NSS ID is synchronized to the new B2C identity.
To learn more, read the FAQ and watch the video.
Need assistance? Complete this form and select “Registration Issue” as the Feedback Category.

Simulator Discussions

can we get a license for >2 nodes - not for production

stephen2

All, I have a need for a 4-node cluster for training purposes and to support a customer engagement in my home lab.  I know the supplied license is limited to two nodes, but was wondering if I could get a special license (maybe privately outside this forum) to accommodate this special request.

Another thing I would like to do is set up peer clusters, but I don't think I can do that with the same 2-node licenses (one per peer cluster)

If this is not the appropriate place to ask, can someone please direct me to the correct person?

4 REPLIES 4

tardie

Vsims are limited to 2-nodes as documented in the guide.

dmundhenk

I am curious about this also. I have three 2-node clusters and am looking at merging 2 of them into a 4-node cluster. Would like to be able to make a 4-node sim cluster, not sure why this would be a big deal...

tardie

You cannot "merge" two clusters together, clustered ONTAP doesn't work that way.

- You could unjoin the nodes from the cluster one node at a time (basically destroying the cluster), initialize the nodes, then joining them to another cluster one at a time. Of course the simulators are limited to a 2-node cluster.

- create a peer relationship between two clusters and replicate between the clusters using SnapMirror.

dmundhenk

I realize this - I'm planning to migrate the existing data from cluster B to cluster A, cutover the users (talking about a 'real' production environment here) then destroy cluster B. Then I will have to move the cluster interconnects for B to the A switches, and then I can join the B nodes to the A cluster, end state = cluster A only with 4 nodes.

The reason I was asking about the Simulator 2-node limit, is because it would be *really nice* to be able to simulate a process like that before doing it for real.  The 2-node limit seems very silly to me, for something that can scale up to 24 nodes.... 😕

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public