Simulator Discussions

ontap sim on hyper-v

johnsfetsoris

hello everybody

How can i  install ontap 9.4 simulator on hype-v?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ilya_v

Hi,

I finally managed to run ONTAP 9.6 sim pretty well the way someone may find inappropriate, but anyway it works, and ONTAP runs pretty smooth.

The key thing with Hyper-V is that ONTAP simulator doesn't include drivers for Hyper-V emulated network adapter, but requires e1000 as described in OVF.

What I did was:

1) On my Hyper-V host I created a Gen2  (this is fairly relevant, and Gen1 might work as well) VM running Debian 9.9.

2) On the Hyper-V host executed a powershell command

Set-VMProcessor -vmname KVM -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

where KVM is the VM name as listed by `get-vm` commandlet.

This allows VMX CPU extensions to be exposed to the guest.

3) Install QEMU/KVM inside the guest

4) unzip Workstation OVA for ONTAP simulator

5) convert vmdk -> qcow via qemu-img  (done on Debian Guest).

6) create VM using virt-manager. This can be also done by importing dupmed XML of an example VM.

7) allowed nested guests in KVM.

Following all these, I succeeded to run 2 instances of ONTAP sim (2 clusters with cluster interconnect). Also Windows and Debian VMs run fine on that KVM hypervisor which itself is actually a guest inside Hyper-V.

Virtualization overhead is almost not noticeable. At least as compared by Linux CLI-based 7-zip benchmark that was executed in first-level guest (VM that runs directly in Hyper-V) and nested guest (debian VM in KVM, while that KVM is a guest in Hyper-V) thanks to VMX extensions exposed all the way through.

KVM configuration and ONTAP xml of the KVM guest (domain) can be found in this thread:

Please-support-the-ontap-simulator-in-kvm-virtualization

Hope this helps Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

ilya_v

Hi,

I finally managed to run ONTAP 9.6 sim pretty well the way someone may find inappropriate, but anyway it works, and ONTAP runs pretty smooth.

The key thing with Hyper-V is that ONTAP simulator doesn't include drivers for Hyper-V emulated network adapter, but requires e1000 as described in OVF.

What I did was:

1) On my Hyper-V host I created a Gen2  (this is fairly relevant, and Gen1 might work as well) VM running Debian 9.9.

2) On the Hyper-V host executed a powershell command

Set-VMProcessor -vmname KVM -ExposeVirtualizationExtensions $true

where KVM is the VM name as listed by `get-vm` commandlet.

This allows VMX CPU extensions to be exposed to the guest.

3) Install QEMU/KVM inside the guest

4) unzip Workstation OVA for ONTAP simulator

5) convert vmdk -> qcow via qemu-img  (done on Debian Guest).

6) create VM using virt-manager. This can be also done by importing dupmed XML of an example VM.

7) allowed nested guests in KVM.

Following all these, I succeeded to run 2 instances of ONTAP sim (2 clusters with cluster interconnect). Also Windows and Debian VMs run fine on that KVM hypervisor which itself is actually a guest inside Hyper-V.

Virtualization overhead is almost not noticeable. At least as compared by Linux CLI-based 7-zip benchmark that was executed in first-level guest (VM that runs directly in Hyper-V) and nested guest (debian VM in KVM, while that KVM is a guest in Hyper-V) thanks to VMX extensions exposed all the way through.

KVM configuration and ONTAP xml of the KVM guest (domain) can be found in this thread:

Please-support-the-ontap-simulator-in-kvm-virtualization

Hope this helps Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Damien_Queen

Nope. Unfortunately, most probably, it is not going to work

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public