Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Does 7-Mode support REST/SOAP APIs?

rpotru

Hi Guys,

Could someone throw me some information regarding the API support for 7-mode ? We are using the NetApp 8.1.4 P6 – 7 mode storage right now.

I have heard only that powershell toolkit is the only API support for 7-mode. Isn't there any REST API support?

I couldn't find much information regarding the API support for this. Our intention is to create NAS volumes,qtrees etc and also quering aggregates, writing to export file using the API calls.

Please direct me to appropriate documentation. Much appreciated.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

asulliva

API-S can talk directly to clustered ONTAP, however it can't talk directly to 7-mode systems.  API-S can talk to Unified Manager though...I'm not sure if a 7-mode system connected to UM would be able to be managed though API-S.

I'll ask and see if I can get an answer for you.

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

asulliva

Hello @rpotru,

ONTAP, both 7-mode and clustered, do not support REST/SOAP APIs directly to the controllers.  The API they use is known as ZAPI and is XML/RPC based.  The SDKs and documentation are found under the NetApp Manageability SDK on MySupport.  The NMSDK has integrations for .NET, Perl, Python, C/C++, Java and more.  

The NetApp PowerShell Toolkit is a PowerShell abstraction for ZAPI using the .NET SDK.  Each ZAPI has an equivalent cmdlet for it's function.  If you are a PowerShell user, then it's a great way to automate against your systems.

If you want to use REST with JSON (or XML), then you should give OnCommand API Services a look.

Hope that helps!

Andrew

If this post resolved your issue, please help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

rpotru

Hi Andrew -

Thank you providing valuable information.

"If you want to use REST with JSON (or XML), then you should give OnCommand API Services a look."

I am more interested in REST interface. However, looking at the documentation, looks like OnCommand API Services is applicable to only Clustered ONTAP. Is it supported for 7-mode?

Reference from various sources such as http://www.sandataworks.com/OnCommand-API-Services.asp 

If it is not supported, we would have to choose powershell toolkit. Please advise. 

asulliva

API-S can talk directly to clustered ONTAP, however it can't talk directly to 7-mode systems.  API-S can talk to Unified Manager though...I'm not sure if a 7-mode system connected to UM would be able to be managed though API-S.

I'll ask and see if I can get an answer for you.

Andrew

rpotru

Thanks Andrew for the help. Looks like 7-mode is going to be end of life soon.

KrishnaVasudevan

Hello,

Andrew is right. API Services cannot manage 7-mode systems, neither directly nor through Unified Manager.

However, do let me know if you have any queries regarding API Services.

Thanks and Regards,

Krishna Vasudevan

jnpr

May i know the documentation of API interaction methods to 7 mode. Just like iam similar for cmode (sdk9.3). 

Thanks in advance.

Public