Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Ontap API Performance monitoring: perf-object-get-instances parameters not consider.

pdion

Hi,

I recently begin to work on Netapp API to gather Performance monitoring using Perl Ontap API 3.0. I look the perf_operation.pl which is quite complete !

But, I'm looking for a script that can get Per instances performance stats, per example, let say that I would like to query avg_latency for a specific Volume. Following the documentation I should use the API perf-object-get-instances and include parameters such as this example using the Windows command line tool:

manage-ontap-sdk-3.0\bin\nt>apitest.exe netapp01 <USER> <PASSWORD> perf-object-get-instances objectname volume instances vol0 counters avg_latency

The problem here is that the output of the command is ALL counters for All volumes on the filer. I also try this API using Perl and zeplorer.exe; they all ignore instances and counters inputs.

Any idea ? Could it be a API bug ?

Thanks a lot.

13 REPLIES 13

chayashida

This may not help the original poster, but I found out how to do this using Perl. I wrote it up here: https://communities.netapp.com/thread/24839

I downloaded the modified perf_operation.pl script, but it didn't quite do what I wanted. Instead of iterating through the results, I was able to filter out specific statistics and only return those. It's useful if you're coding in Perl, but I have no idea how you'd be able to wrap a command-line interface around that.

Anyway, I'm adding this comment with a link in hopes that it will help someone else.

Chris

rle
NetApp Alumni

The problem is that apitest doesn't take array input.  I would try the latest version of zexplorer.

Regards,

- Rick -

ajtsirca

So, looks like I'm a bit slow getting onto this... but 3 years later this still looks to be a problem??

The following still returns all volumes and all counters rather than what was specified.

# ./apitest.rb -x filer200 <user> <password> perf-object-get-instances objectname volume instances scratchpv counters avg_latency

Anyone have any updates?

Regards,

ajt.

ajtsirca

So, looks like I'm a bit slow getting onto this... but 3 years later this still looks to be a problem??

The following still returns all volumes and all counters rather than what was specified.

# ./apitest.rb -x filer200 <user> <password> perf-object-get-instances objectname volume instances scratchpv counters avg_latency

Anyone have any updates?

Regards,

ajt.

ajtsirca

Anyone have any updates?

Regards,

ajt.

ajtsirca

Anyone have any updates?

Regards,

ajt.

ajtsirca

Anyone have any updates?

Regards,

ajt.

ajtsirca

Anyone have any updates?

Regards,

ajt.

iandowiandow

I'm trying to poll the processor_busy counter from my NetApp simulator using perf_operation.pl.  The processor_busy stat is supposed to be a percentage expressed between 0 and 100, but I'm getting a huge number, like 224962027.  See listing below:

perl ./perf_operation.pl 192.168.88.131 adminuser adminpass get-counter-values processor processor0 processor_busy
Instance = processor0
Counter Name = processor_busy    Counter Value = 224962027

My simulator is running NetApp Release 7.3, and my perl modules are from manage-ontap-sdk-3.5.1.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks for any help.

--Ian

rkiran

The processor_busy counter value will not be returned in percentage, its

a value which reports the time during which the processor has been

active since an arbitrary point in the past. For more details, refer the

perf API documentation under doc/ontapi/ontapi_/perf/index.html

nagendrk

I see a similar behavior.. May be its a bug !

I could code around the problem and enhance the perf_operation.pl script to do what you are asking, that is, to query a counter value for a particular volume. Try the attached script.

Syntax :

C:\perl&gt;perf_operation.pl &lt;filer&gt; &lt;user&gt; &lt;pwd&gt; get-instance-counter-value &lt;object&gt; &lt;instance&gt; &lt;counter&gt;

For eg.

C:\perl&gt;perf_operation.pl &lt;filer&gt; &lt;user&gt; &lt;pwd&gt; get-instance-counter-value volume vol0 avg_latency

Ashitkumar

I face the same issue with the CPP SDK. Is there any fix available?

I am using SDK 3.0.

--Ashit

kvishal

I dont think there is a fix available. It is a API bug and not dependent on SDK version or langauge used

Announcements
NetApp on Discord Image

We're on Discord, are you?

Live Chat, Watch Parties, and More!

Explore Banner

Meet Explore, NetApp’s digital sales platform

Engage digitally throughout the sales process, from product discovery to configuration, and handle all your post-purchase needs.

NetApp Insights to Action
I2A Banner
Public