Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Troubleshooting 'Incorrect Credential' issue with DataONTAP Powershell Toolkit

glen_eustace

We have recently installed some new filers (running in cluster mode)  and are trying to migrate various powershell scripts to the new environment.  We are getting issues trying to conect to both SVMs directly and through the controllers.  We are running v3.2 odf the toolkit and v8.2.2 of OnTAP.

We are testing connect-nccontroller using the same credentials, they work for some people on some computers and not others.  We can't seem to find any specific combination that will work or not.  We have tried Win 7, 8.1, 2k8R2 and 2012.  No pattern seems to exist.

Tracing the API has also not helped.

11:05:39.403418 IP it046425-win8en.massey.ac.nz.47856 > tur-nas1-mgmt.massey.ac.nz.http: Flags [P.], seq 1:255, ack 1, win 256, length 254

..g.....)]....E..&..@...|..{...{f....P|..B.'z.P....h..POST /servlets/netapp.servlets.admin.XMLrequest_filer HTTP/1.1

Authorization: Basic bWFzc2V5XHN2Y0RSTmNNZ210OmZyZWQ=

Content-Type: application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Host: 130.123.102.187

Content-Length: 97

Expect: 100-continue

Connection: Close

11:05:39.414744 IP tur-nas1-mgmt.massey.ac.nz.http > it046425-win8en.massey.ac.nz.47856: Flags [P.], seq 1:630, ack 255, win 1026, length 629

..)]....g.....E...!.@.=....{f..{...P...'z.|..@P....3..HTTP/1.1 401 Authorization Required

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 22:05:39 GMT

WWW-Authenticate: Basic realm="Remote Administrative API Support"

Content-Length: 401

Connection: close

Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">

<html><head>

<title>401 Authorization Required</title>

</head><body>

<h1>Authorization Required</h1>

<p>This server could not verify that you

are authorized to access the document

requested.  Either you supplied the wrong

credentials (e.g., bad password), or your

browser doesn't understand how to supply

the credentials required.</p>

</body></html>

I need more info but am not sure where to look in the SVM itself.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

glen_eustace

The answer here turned out to be simple.  The user I created in AD was in camel-case i.e. svcDRNcMgmt and me being a linux person I always typed it as such.  The storage engineer had unfortunately added the user to the filers in lowercase.  In our testing, my colleague, with a windows backgound sometimes typed the credentials in camel-case and sometimes in lowercase as Windows is not case sensitive.  So, the credentials always failed for me and sometimes failed for him.  Now that we know that DataONTAP is case sensitive we have our solution.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

glen_eustace

The answer here turned out to be simple.  The user I created in AD was in camel-case i.e. svcDRNcMgmt and me being a linux person I always typed it as such.  The storage engineer had unfortunately added the user to the filers in lowercase.  In our testing, my colleague, with a windows backgound sometimes typed the credentials in camel-case and sometimes in lowercase as Windows is not case sensitive.  So, the credentials always failed for me and sometimes failed for him.  Now that we know that DataONTAP is case sensitive we have our solution.

Public