Software Development Kit (SDK) and API Discussions

Unified Manager 9.11 REST API missing endpoints that are present in the SDK

SCOTT_LINDLEY

I have made extensive use of the SDK with both OnTAP and UM, and I'm "translating" these to REST. So far, it's been relatively painless, but:

I need to be able to query UM for the same sort of information that was available via the SDK call "disk_iter". I can't find an equivalent, nor can I locate another endpoint that would provide this sort of information.

So far this is the only glaring omission in the set of REST endpoints that I have found for UM, but there may be more to come as I progress with the translation. I'm largely only translating calls that I'm actually using more frequently at this time, others will come later.

On a side note, I've also observed that SnapMirror-related REST calls take an inordinate amount of time to respond, especially if you don't specify a filter on the returned attributes. An SDK call that takes seconds to respond with a complete data set can take 30 minutes to respond under REST, and the results have to be harvested in "bits and pieces" due to the timeouts involved, even when they are set to the max (120 seconds as I recall). It's difficult to understand why this would occur.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mbeattie

Hi Scott,

Agreed this is lacking, disappointing and frustrating. I've passed on your feedback to the developers. Have you checked if there are any private API's in AIQUM that might be able to provide a workaround? I noticed whilst developing this PowerShell module: https://github.com/matthew-beattie/AIQUM/blob/master/AIQUM.psm1

That the there were a number of functions i had to rely on Private API's. The easiest way i found to find these was to use a Chrome plugin called webspy and replicate the action in the web UI which displays the API's being invoked internally. It's not ideal by any means but it might help you find a workaround. Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

SCOTT_LINDLEY

Wow, found another already. The SDK endpoint "dp-relationship" doesn't seem to have a matching or even similar REST endpoint in UM. Disappointing.

SCOTT_LINDLEY

And yes, yet another. There is no REST equivalent for the SDK "event-class". We use this call daily to ensure that only the desired events are disabled in UM.

I'm surprised by the number of endpoint types that are missing in UM. It's very disappointing given the amount of time that REST has been implemented in UM.

mbeattie

Hi Scott,

Agreed this is lacking, disappointing and frustrating. I've passed on your feedback to the developers. Have you checked if there are any private API's in AIQUM that might be able to provide a workaround? I noticed whilst developing this PowerShell module: https://github.com/matthew-beattie/AIQUM/blob/master/AIQUM.psm1

That the there were a number of functions i had to rely on Private API's. The easiest way i found to find these was to use a Chrome plugin called webspy and replicate the action in the web UI which displays the API's being invoked internally. It's not ideal by any means but it might help you find a workaround. Hope that helps

/Matt

If this post resolved your issue, help others by selecting ACCEPT AS SOLUTION or adding a KUDO.

SCOTT_LINDLEY

Thanks! I'll check it out. I wasn't aware that there were hidden REST API calls. Very odd of NetApp to not publish them.

mbeattie

Hi Scott,

Private API's aren't published because they aren't technically supported as they are subject to future change in new software releases as they are transitioned to public REST API's. I'd only suggest looking into it as a short term workaround and definitely test any code that leverages them on the next release before upgrading.

/Matt

Public