SolidFire and HCI

How to enable snmp on mNode-Server in HCI-Cluster?

Lothar

Hi all,

with our new HCI-Cluster installed and mNode setup, we now want to manage the mNode via SNMP with our Fault-Management-System.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find any docs.

Anybody out there knowing how to perform this?

Thanks in advance.

Lothar

mNode-Version: 11.3.0.14235

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Trubida

I don't believe you are able to edit SNMP within the vCenter plug-in.  In order to enable SNMP services on the storage nodes you will need to go to your MVIP and logon.  If you don't know the MVIP IP address you should be able to find that in the plug-in under Element Configuration.  Once you logon to the MVIP, you can select the cluster tab and you will find the SNMP services. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Trubida

I don't believe you are able to edit SNMP within the vCenter plug-in.  In order to enable SNMP services on the storage nodes you will need to go to your MVIP and logon.  If you don't know the MVIP IP address you should be able to find that in the plug-in under Element Configuration.  Once you logon to the MVIP, you can select the cluster tab and you will find the SNMP services. 

TMACMD

Did you happen to look at the ONTAP documents pages:

https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2496242

Is the SNMP Configuration Express Guide 

Note, MANY SNMP OIDs are actually not query-able any more.

You are better off creating a traphost (or traphosts) and let ONTAP send SNMP traps.

You will likley not be able to "manage" ONTAP from SNMP, only Monitoring.

To manage, you will need to use ZAPI/ONTAPI (Up to ONTAP 9.6)

Or look at using the new REST API in ONTAP 9.6.

It is still being developed and not everything can be done with REST that can be done with ZAPI, but a lot can.

Trubida

The doc you reference is for OnTap. This question was for NetApp HCI. 

TMACMD

And so it is....Thanks.

Just saw the SNMP and figured ONTAP. Have not ever heard of using SNMP with the HCI yet!

@Trubida wrote:

The doc you reference is for OnTap. This question was for NetApp HCI. 

elementx

> we now want to manage the mNode via SNMP with our Fault-Management-System

Although this has been solved, I'd like to clarify that MVIP (mentioned in accepted solution) is the cluster Management IP which lives on the (storage)  cluster, on the node with Master role, rather than mNode (the out-of-band management VM).

Public