VMware Solutions Discussions

[BETA] Using VVOLs with NetApp & VMware

datacenterdude

UPDATE [Apr 9 2015]: The official versions of both VSC 6.0 and VASA Provider 6.0 are available as of today.

VSC 6.0 - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

VP 6.0 - CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

FEEDBACK!

We want to hear your feedback!  We would love to consolidate everything centrally here in this thread, but if you have something that you don't want to say in the communities, you can always send VSC feedback to xdl-vsc-feedback@netapp.com.

-NetApp VSC/VASA team-

102 REPLIES 102

Mikky

Hi,

I am getting the same thing too.

vcenter register -vcenter_ip=10.44.200.110 -username=administrator@vsphere.local -password=password -vsc_ip=10.44.200.110

Error - StorageFault: VI SDK invoke exception:java.rmi.RemoteException: Exception in WSClient.invoke:; nested exception is:
 : ioFilterManager

Dose someone has any idea ?

Best regards,

cvolkmer

Hi All,

I'd be interested in the latest VASA VP, which supports vSphere 6 RC, too.

Thanks

Christian

EE

Looks like we need a new download url to the new version if there is one.

Mikky

Hmmm...
When do you plan to support VASA VP for vSphere6_RC ?

dhollowa

All,

The updated VSC and VP software has been posted at the following location:

http://mysupport.netapp.com/NOW/download/software/beta/beta_vasa_cdot/6.0X2/

There are two known issues when using a VDS or when attempting to provision a datastore on aVSAN host or cluster.

Cheers

-DH

pduser

Hi

hitting an error when provisioning a VVOL datastore

I have the vSphere 6.0 RC Build 2172318, VSC 5.0.1X7, VASA 6.0.0 and a 2 node 8.2.1 cDOT VSIM

VSC and VASA installed fine and I added the cDOT cluster to VSC

I can start the VVOL datastore provisioning workflow (NFS), create new flexvols and match SCPs. However when I click finish the flexvols are created but I then get the following error.

Unknown error, Error: Unable to create datastore. Cannot create or mount NFS datastore because either none of your ESX host's VMkernel interfaces share a subnet with the controller or it would create an indirect data path. Try adding the network of the VMkernel interface(s) you'd like to use to mount to the default.allow.nfs.mount.networks property in the kaminoprefs.xml preferences file., occurred on the server.  See server logs for more details.

VMkernel and cDOT lifs are in the same subnet. My network settings are as follows

esxi 6.0 172.27.103.56

cDOT NFS lifs 172.27.103.54 & 55

cDOT cluster mgmt lif 172.27.103.53

VASA 172.27.102.34

vCenter 172.27.103.15

DNS 172.27.102.3

gateway 172.27.100.254

netmask 255.255.252.0

Any clues to my mistake or workaround. If I need to edit kaminoprefs.xml is there an example of how?

arunsd

Hi,

I'm getting the same error with the RTM bits when i try to provision a NFS vVol datatore using VSC. Where you able to resolve this issue?

Unknown error, Error: Unable to create datastore. Cannot create or mount NFS datastore because either none of your ESX host's VMkernel interfaces share a subnet with the controller or it would create an indirect data path. Try adding the network of the VMkernel interface(s) you'd like to use to mount to the default.allow.nfs.mount.networks property in the kaminoprefs.xml preferences file., occurred on the server.  See server logs for more details.

peterl

Crosspost alert!

Just wanted to make sure those following this discussion were informed that we've posted the VVols cookbook.

http://community.netapp.com/t5/VMware-Solutions-Discussions/VMware-VVols-on-NetApp-cDOT-beta-CookBook/m-p/98631/thread-id/8006

Enjoy!

Peter

cvolkmer

Hi All,

we've installed the latest beta bits on vSphere6 RC. VASA VP is registered and running and we are able to create a vVOL DS. The workflow works and the FlexVol is created correctly. In vCenter, the vVOL DS is not accessible, showing the following error:

vvol_error.png

The setup here is a bit complex. vCenter (VSC installed locally) + VASA VP Appliance is in VLAN_X, the storage system is in VLAN_Y. Provisioning a traditional DS via VSC works without problems.

Any thoughts or inputs?

[EDIT: after disabling vSphere HA, the creation succeeded - it seemed that vSphere selected this DS to write it's heartbeat files]

Thanks

Christian

tuxtof

Hello graham, 

find below my feedback

We would like to know your progress in deploying the Beta and any challenges and areas of improvement you can suggest. 

1. Were you able to install ESXi 6.0 and vCenter 6.0?
    • Installation is done , no specific issue
  2. Were you able to install NetApp VASA VP and VSC and register the VASA VP to vCenter?
    • VSC is installed on windows 2008r2 without issue, register with vcenter , the VSC icon appear in the vSphere Web CLient, but when i try to register the VASA provider in the VSC configuration it failed with the following error Capture d’écran 2015-03-08 à 12.09.21.png
  3. I'am blocked here

regards

tuxtof

Graham,

after some searching , i wonder if it is not a POODLE problem 😄

i use a very recent vcenter 6 version and inside it seems we  desactivate sslv3 to protect us again poodle attack.

it seems that the vasa provider appliance try to connect to vcenter with sslv3 and this why it failed.

Any idea to modify this on the vasa provider or maybe do you have a more recent version ?

i use vasavp-6-0X2.ova for now.

Regards

dhollowa

Hello,

Correct,  The Beta2 bits are not compatible with the latest version of ESXi and vCenter (ie. POODLE).  We have fixed the issues internally and it will be fixed in a future version of the VP.

Cheers

-DH

tuxtof

Hello Dave

can you share this version ?

regards

thakala

Hello,

I also stumbled on this issue with vCenter Server 6 GA. Is there any way we could disable SSLv3 and enable TLS on VASA VP 6.0x2 or must be wait GA release? I already dug around in VASA VP Linux console but didn't find any configuration settings for cipher support. I am in a bit hurry as I am delivering vSphere 6 What's New training next week and I would love to be able to study VVOL before my training delivery 😕

peterl

There may be a package or module you could install, but that would be outside of what we would be able to support at this time.  While we have updated the VP for this issue, we can not publish it yet due to QA, third-party code scan and other requirements.  These actvities take time and resources, and if we were to do that for many of these issues, we would delay the GA release of the VP.  The GA is coming very soon.  For now, as stated earlier, the supported beta of our VP works with vSphere 6 (2015) RC1.

balazs_lovas

Hi thakala,

I'm in the same shoes... will need to do a what's new delivery soon. Have you perhaps found a workaround to make vasa work with vcenter6ga?

thx

thakala

No I have not, hopefully NetApp will release VASA VP 6.0 GA soon!

vjorge

Hi,

Can anyone share the VASA ova.

I dont have access to the link provided. I would like to join the beta, but unfortunately i dont have an valid customer account.

Many thanks,

Vitor

allison

This beta is now closed. This thread is closed for comments. If you need assistance with VSC or VASA Provider, please create a new discussion.

Public