VMware Solutions Discussions

Configure LUN via both iSCSI for host attach and FC for backup recovery

ckendall

I need to configure a LUN via both iSCSI for host attach and FC for backup recovery.   I haven't found any knowledgebase articles outlining how to support or set up this configuration.  Can anyone point me to a viable resource?

The following is the response I recieve from technical support.

Netapp has received your request for assistance concerning the use of Fibre Channel on a Netapp filer. I do not see any clarifying statements on this issue. It is basically a matter of cabling and enabling the FC adapters. You have contacted a break/fix support group .  I would recommend contacting you local Netapp Sales Representative as they are involved in the setup of the Netapp system all the time and would be better able to assist you.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

Netapp has received your request for assistance concerning the use of Fibre Channel on a Netapp filer. I do not see any clarifying statements on this issue. It is basically a matter of cabling and enabling the FC adapters. You have contacted a break/fix support group .  I would recommend contacting you local Netapp Sales Representative as they are involved in the setup of the Netapp system all the time and would be better able to assist you.

Let me know if you need any other assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

scottgelb

As opposed to answering the question, they gave a script response to call a sales rep... sigh..

You can share a lun over both protocols by simply creating an iscsi and fc initiatator group (igroup) then map the lun to each igroup.  However, unless you are running a clustered file system, you wouldn't want more than one server connecting to the lun at a time.  If you are looking at having one server in production and another do backup on a non-clustered lun...then it would make more sense to clone (vol clone, lun clone, or clone (sis/dedup clone)) the lun then map the clone to an igroup for the backup.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

scottgelb

As opposed to answering the question, they gave a script response to call a sales rep... sigh..

You can share a lun over both protocols by simply creating an iscsi and fc initiatator group (igroup) then map the lun to each igroup.  However, unless you are running a clustered file system, you wouldn't want more than one server connecting to the lun at a time.  If you are looking at having one server in production and another do backup on a non-clustered lun...then it would make more sense to clone (vol clone, lun clone, or clone (sis/dedup clone)) the lun then map the clone to an igroup for the backup.

scottgelb

Not a common config, but another cool thing you can do with the DSM is setup FC primary and iSCSI secondary to the same server... all by the igroup mapping to export to that server.  Not your question, but shows the flexibility of ONTAP to export over any protocol.

CCIE17603

Hi Scott,

I tried the config and it seems to work no problem with the exception that the FC iGroup would not allow me to use ALUA. Thats understandable since the iSCSI iGroup doesn't use ALUA. Do you see any issues with this configuration?

Lastly you mentioned you wouldn't want to do this for multiple servers attaching to that LUN unless you were running a clustered file system. I assume VWWare/ESXi would be fine since vCenter controls the entire clusters access to the datastores, correct or no?

Thanks!

Public