VMware Solutions Discussions

FAS2040 and trunking vlans

cserpadss

Hello,

I have 2 FAS2040-R5's running ONTAP 8.0.1 with a Ciscso 3750-X stack as my switch backend. As you know each filer has 4 network ports. Currently e0a (vlan X) is being used strictly for management purposes on a routable network. e0b and e0c are part of a VIF (vlan Y) on a non routable network used for NFS traffic and lastly e0d (vlan Z) is being used for iSCSI traffic again on a non routable network. As you can see from that design there is a single point of failure for iSCSI traffic.

The idea is to reconfigure e0a and e0d so they too form a VIF for iSCSI traffic but then I lose my management traffic capabilities as the vLANs for iSCSI and NFS aren't routable. So what I can do is trunk vLANs X and Z on the switch and tag them at the filers but this is where I am having problems. Can someone point me on the right direction on how to perform that task or if you've done it before can you tell me how you solved this problem?

I know at the filers you can create vLANs but it's not like in VMware where it's pretty straight forward to tag vLANs for specific network ports. Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ANDREW_GALLANT

vif create lacp vif1 -b ip e0a e0b e0c e0d

vlan create vif1 33

ifconfig vif1-33 `hostname`-vif1-33 netmask 255.255.255.0 partner vif1-33

each time you run the vlan create vfi1 VLAN_ID (in the example 33) it creates a new virtual interface for the vlan from there you can run the ifconfig command (shown above changing 33 for your vlan) don't forget to put in your rc file.

Make sure your ports on the switch are in a port channel running LACP

-AG

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

radek_kubka

Hi,

You just create multiple VLANs on top of the same vif interface (using "vlan create" command) - as simple as that!

Regards,

Radek

vmsjaak13

Just a quick vlan reminder: Data Ontap only does tagged.

Regards,

Niek

ANDREW_GALLANT

vif create lacp vif1 -b ip e0a e0b e0c e0d

vlan create vif1 33

each time you run the vlan create vfi1 VLAN_ID (in the example 33) it creates a new virtual interface for the vlan from there you can run the ifconfig command (shown above changing 33 for your vlan) don't forget to put in your rc file.

Make sure your ports on the switch are in a port channel running LACP

-AG

RATNATHURAI

I know this is an old post, I am in a similar situation like cserpadss to create multiple vlans on top of vif.

How do I assign ip to vif-33?

nsimpson

Put the IP address you want for vif-33 in the hosts file.  Make sure the ifconfig statement is in the rc file and then reboot.  You could also use source the rc file but I have instances where a reboot was required. 

RATNATHURAI

Nick, Thank you for your quick reply.Hope you can answer to this question too.

Should I put mtusize statement at the end of the ifconfig for each vlan or not necessary since the vif has mtusize already?

nsimpson

Best practice is to specify it. 1500 is default, 9000 is jumbo frames.

Public