VMware Solutions Discussions

FAS2050 new shelf of different disks

mendip1234

Sorry for this, but I've taken on a FAS2050 as part of my role. So here's my many questions around the following setup:

FAS2050 active/active

shelf 1: 20 * 300GB (original supplied)

shelf 2: 14 * 300GB (added 12months later)

shelf 3: 14 * 1TB - waiting to be added.

This is all RAID_DP

We have a CIFS share for DATA, but the rest of the SAN is for ESX use (currently 3.5 if it makes a difference)

the storage is essentially going to be used for VMWare and soon Citrix Xendestop.

what I'm wanting to know is how should The aggregates be set up. currently shelf 1 and 2 are 2 aggregates each - with the parity and spare disks that go with it.

should each shelf be allocated as an Aggregate, or should each filer have half of the disks created as an aggregate (or 2 due to disk sizes).

as well as aggregates, should I be creating large volumes & lots of luns inside each, or smaller volumes with 1 lun inside.

I have a couple of weeks before I have to start using the new storage shelf for some P2V's so I'd rather get this new shelf set up properly and sort the first 2 shelves out if required by moving existing data into the new area.

thanks for any pointers,

Ian

1 REPLY 1

crocker

Hi,

You may want to ask this question in the NetApp Support Community.  The current customers, partners and internal Subject Matter Experts are addressing technical product questions there.

Mike

Public