VMware Solutions Discussions

Initial config of 24 disk FAS3210

DAVIDELLIOTT

Hi all,

I am fairly new to NetApp so hopefully I can draw on the experience of forum members. We have a new FAS3210 (dual controllers) with 24 x 15k SAS disks.  Running version 8.0.2. The SAN will be used in a VMware environment.

My thoughts for initial config are:

HA active/passive configuration with each controller having a separate root agg/vol. thus using 6 disks.

2 spare disks

The remaining 16 disks configured as a new aggregate on one of the controllers.

Another option is to split the system down the middle without separate root vols, giving 12 disks per controller.

2 spare disks per controller

10 disks for each controllers aggregate, which after the parity disks leave 8 actual data disks. My concern is the performance of striping over just 8 disks here.

Any other ideas? We will be growing the system within a few months by adding another shelf but i'd like to get as many usable disks out of the system now.

Many thanks for your help,

David.

1 REPLY 1

radek_kubka

Hi David and welcome to the Community!

There is actually a variety of threads tackling a very similar dilemma, but with even fewer disks (12):

http://communities.netapp.com/message/58012#58012

Another option is to split the system down the middle without separate root vols, giving 12 disks per controller.

2 spare disks per controller

You mean 'without separate root aggregates', right? That would be my preferred way, providing you have something to put on both aggregates (i.e. at least two volumes / LUNs with some data), thus balancing the load & making effective use of all spindles.

You can then expand both aggregates (or just one of them) when adding additional disk shelves with the same type of disk.

Regards,

Radek

Public