VMware Solutions Discussions

Latest VSC compatible with 8.2.3 7 Mode

RANJBASSI

Hi Folks

Just had a quick question.

We planning on upgrading our VMware environment from v6.0 to v6.5 as we building a new VMware cluster using VSAN which will sit alongside our other clusters within vCentre, to leverage the best capabilities of VSAN we ideally need to be using 6.5.

We currently use a Windows Server for our vCentre server however when we move to v6.5 we would prefer to use the VCSA appliance to save on SQL and MS licensing costs as well as VMware pushing the appliance over the Windows based installaton.

As we are running 7-mode 8.2.3P3 on our NetApp FAS 8020 and 2240-4, my understanding is we cannot upgrade to VSC 7.0 or 7.1 and need to rely on VSC 6.2.1? is this correct?

Am I also correct in saying VSC 6.2.1 is NOT compatible with VMware VCSA 6.5?

Appreciate any advice and support on this.

Thanks

Ranj

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

wronald

Hi,

Yes, you will still need a Windows Server to install VSC 6.2.1 and after the installation, a Webbrowser open with the registration configuration.

There you enter the information to connect to the VCSA.

It's all in the install documentation here: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2561116

Regards,

Ron

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

wronald

Hi Ranj,

Based on the IMT, you are correct that 6.2.1 is the latest version of VSC supported with your configuration.

The vCenter Server can run as an Appliance in version 6.5 or 6.5 update 1.

I attached the IMT output it you want.

Cheers,

Ron

RANJBASSI

Hi Ron

Many thanks for your reply and sending over the IMT, I have to say trying to get the resuls from IMT myself have been a challenge with it being very slow and cumbersome to use!

Ok so that confirms to me that 6.2.1 is the last version we can use, thats great thanks for that.

If we were to setup the VCSA on 6.5 U1 because its a hardened appliance which is not windows based, would I need to install VSC on another Windows OS server? What I am struggling to understand is how the VCSA would be able to communicate with the VSC on another server, I was under the impression that vcentre and VSC needed to be on the same server. Is this not the case then?

I assume when I configure VSC it will have it own URL based on the servers its installed on and i just point the VCSA 6.5 to the VSC URL?

Would this be correct?

Many Thanks

Ranj

wronald

Hi,

Yes, you will still need a Windows Server to install VSC 6.2.1 and after the installation, a Webbrowser open with the registration configuration.

There you enter the information to connect to the VCSA.

It's all in the install documentation here: https://library.netapp.com/ecm/ecm_download_file/ECMLP2561116

Regards,

Ron

Public