VMware Solutions Discussions

OnCommand Host 1.0 for VMware

michaeldparker

Hi All,

I performed a couple of test restores of VMware VM's using the OnCommand Host 1.0 plugin on my ESX 4.1 environment.  On both restores, the VM was restored to the correct datastore, but was not registered with vSphere.  Not a major deal as I was able to mannually register and start the VM mysefl.  In the restore request, I had told the software to power the VM on for me.  In the details of the job I see this error:

OnCommandHSVMware: hsRestore1 2ca03ff76002d7ad2c10f884a8f0e94f: Failed to load reference to virtual machine NOCWKS3. Cannot determine if it should be powered off.
Any ideas why the error and how to resolve this problem so that VM's are automatically registered?  It's not like this is something that I'll be doing every day, but I'm trying to make this as idiot proof as possible so that when I turn the process over to less experience jr. admins, I don't get woken up at 3AM for something stupid like this.
Thanks
Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

arunchak

Yes,

Will update the BURT with these comments.

Thanks,

Arun

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

arunchak

Hi,

If the VM is removed or unregistered, ie. removed from inventory or deleted from disk and then a restore is performed, then the vmdk's will be restored to the datastore but it won't be registered as you have requested. I had filed a BURT for this 484280 and it has been release documented. Hope this is useful for you.

Try not deleting the VM or removing it from inventory and restoring - let me know if you face the same issue in this case too.

Thanks,

Arun

michaeldparker

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly my problem. Good to know. Maybe in future releases this will work. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

arunchak

Yes,

Will update the BURT with these comments.

Thanks,

Arun

michaeldparker

Great. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone

Public