VMware Solutions Discussions

Performance Acceleration Module (PAM) Intelligent Caching

tanis

Performance Acceleration Module (PAM), an intelligent caching device that can significantly enhance the performance of applications that do a lot of disk-intensive random reads. A recent Tech OnTap article describes both PAM hardware and software including the caching strategies it uses. We go on to introduce Predictive Cache Statistics (PCS) a software tool that can help you determine if your storage systems can benefit from PAM, how much cache you'll need, and how to best configure it.

Check out the article at: http://www.netapp.com/us/communities/tech-ontap/pam.html ... I recently presented on this topic in a Tech OnTap Live User Group so if you're really interested you can also check out the presentation and event recap.

What are your biggest performance concerns? What do you think of PAM? What do you want to know more about?

4 REPLIES 4

hdiseguros

Hi Dave.

The PAM module is supported by FAS 3020c ?

tanis

Hey Henry,

The PAM module is PCIe based. The 3020 only has PCIx, so no it is not supported.

Dave

bailibr

Dave

I understand the PAM card but I have not seen any performance reports. We are thinking about using Fusion I/O cards for a database that needs high performance. I am considering 10 PAM cards vs DMX4 with SSD. The application runs on 600 Blade servers with local attached disk today which is mostly read (like an internet seach engine), but due to data growth 10x in the next two years we need a different solution. Your thoughts?

chadfisette

Do you have any new articles on this as it deals with VMware and VDI?

Public