VMware Solutions Discussions

Restore virtual machine from secondary filer

peter1965

Hello,

I am trying to put together a process to restore virtual machines that were snap vaulted to our secondary 6210 san qtree from our 6280 primary san. The datastores are NFS. What I did is mount the secondary datastore/qtree onto the san by adding a datastore as read only then I would click on the snapshot folder and select a smvi folder to copy the machine over. I had the machine I wanted to restore on the production san off but this is where it doesnt work I woild simply get some error. I wanted it to be gui as possible. As I am using VSC 4 to snap this specific datastore as only dev test machines are residining there but I also snapvault them over.

The error from vmware is "Expected put message. Got:ERROR" Perhaps permissions..And I was trying to download the machine to my desktop (its a small machine) from the vmware datstore browser. And if I try the move option from the read only datastore to the datastore on the primary datastore I would get "cannot write on datastore (qtreename) on the target host"

I am just going to assume this isnt the best way to perform it and the snap vaulting is not part of ops manager/dfm. It appears I may have to do it the cli way of "snap restore" command. I wanted to make it gui as possible, As I thought I can copy the machine from the secondary datastore to the primary destination.. I suppose i was very wrong

Anyhow we use commvault for our production stuff and I didnt want to waste the commvault licensing on dev test stuff... and I was trying to see what i can do for these dev test machines for that "just in case" scenario.

thoughts? input?

thanks for reading

23 REPLIES 23

peter1965

As mentioned in the initial post I am trying to restore VIRTUAL MACHINES that were snapvaulted to a secondary san (6210).

I am currently using VSC4 to snap them on the primary san (6280) and SMVI and the smvi script updates the destination qtree on the secondary san. Both san using NFS protocols on the datastores.

I have mounted the datastore from the secondary san to a ESX host as READ ONLY. So I was trying to copy the files within that machine folder “VMA” was an example machine back to the primary. Some files do copy over but not all of them. I have also created a new folder within the datastore to restore to and tried to paste all of the files there but not all of them will copy over that consist of the virtual machine.

I am not trying to restore specific files within the virtual machine at this time.

peter1965

The grayed out options is not letting me remove the compnents. Actually when I installed it the top three selections were already made adn nothing i can do. I think those are dependincies and are required...

rsmits1074

It looks like we are having the same issue here. When i want to copy a file from a mounted datastore (flexclone from a vsc backup) I get : Expected put message. Got: ERROR

From the cli on the ESX host I can access the files normal. (copy etc) but from vcenter (gui or web client) i cannot copy a file. (Or connect a disk to a vm)

The nfs export is normal : -sec=sys,rw,anon=0

Anyone ?

Public