VMware Solutions Discussions

Site Recovery Manager 4.0.1 in a NFS only environment...anyone?

txskibum2000

Has anyone been successful in implementing SRM 4.0.1 in a NFS Only environment????

I am having to open a case with NetApp Support on an issue we cannot overcome with the NetApp SRA Adapter 1.4.3 with SRM 4.0.1 not able to display the Datastores that are being replicated.

The Bug/Workaround in NetApp (Solution ID: kb58002)

- Confirmed that there is a NetApp SRA 1.4.3 Bug and told we have a workaround aswel.

Performed the following command on both the Protected and Recovery Storage Array.

igroup create -i -t vmware dummy_igroup_name

- After that we tried adding array and it worked!

- Now we had another issue where we get a error message at the final screen of Add Array manager wizard.

On completing the Array Manager configuration, you see the message:

Unable to display datastore groups. Replicated devices could not be matched with datastores in the inventory.

- Checked the logs and found the below errors.

- Found a PR wherein it spoke about Error "No lun groups created since there are no replicated datastores" if  NFS volumes  are configured/exported to (everyone)

- Then we checked the DR Array and it was exported to everyone. So we gave access to only specific hosts of DR site with R/W and Root access. And still it didnt work.

- So we went ahead and put the volumes in restricted mode and then tried and check. Still the same issue.

- We reconfigured replication at the recovery site from scratch and still it didnt work.

So, if there is anyone out there that has successfully configured SRM 4 on NFS Only Datastores, I would love to hear from ya!

6 REPLIES 6

amritad

Hi

Please take a look at this KB and let us know if it fixed the issue

https://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=kb58002

Regards

Amrita

txskibum2000

Amritad,

Please re-read the section where I mentioned the following....

The Bug/Workaround in NetApp (Solution ID: kb58002)

- Confirmed that there is a NetApp SRA 1.4.3 Bug and told we have a workaround aswel.

Performed the following command on both the Protected and Recovery Storage Array.

igroup create -i -t vmware dummy_igroup_name

- After that we tried adding array and it worked!

- Now we had another issue where we get a error message at the final screen of Add Array manager wizard.

txskibum2000

There was a mis-configuration of the SRM when we were configuring the NFS DataStores with a Private Non-Routing IP Address.  As soon as we added the non-routing IP addresses, we were able to connect.  At this time, we are not having performance issues.  Although, we are WAY in the preliminary phases of testing!

sloftus

Hey,

Just wondering if you have solved this at all.

I'm in the process of configuring SRM 4.0.1 on NFS with SRA 1.4.3, and although I haven't got your issues, are having some performace problems with test failovers.

One thing I noticed is that the following capabilites needed to be added to the role on the FAS -

Allowed Capabilities: login-http-admin,api-system-get-info,api-fcp-node-get-name,api-iscsi-node-get-name,api-fcp-adapter-list-info,api-igroup-list-info,api-lun-list-info,api-lun-map-list-info,api-lun-get-serial-number,api-lun-map,api-lun-online,api-system-cli,cli-ifconfig,api-snapmirror-get-status,api-nfs-exportfs-list-rules-2,api-volume-clone-create,api-snapmirror-abort,api-snapmirror-quiesce,api-snapmirror-break,api-volume-online,api-qtree-list,api-nfs-exportfs-list-rules,api-volume-list-info,api-volume-offline,api-volume-destroy,api-ems-autosupport-log,api-nfs-exportfs-append-rules,api-nfs-exportfs-modify-rule,cli-priv,cli-version,api-storage-shelf-list-info,api-iscsi-service-status,api-aggr-list-info,cli-netstat,cli-vlan

The NetApp KB article only mentions a subset of these.

Check the audit logs on the FAS.

Let me know how you go

S

txskibum2000

Resolved internally. Mis-configuration and lack of knowledge on our part with non-routing ip addresses.

Did you use non-routing addresses or you didn't? Your answer is a little confusing

Regards

Satinder

Public