VMware Solutions Discussions

VAAI configuration on FAS2040 with ONTAP 8.0.1

VALLEY911

Hi All,

Hoping somebody can shine some light on an issue I am seeing with our FAS2040 and ESXi 5 host with VAAI. Issue being that it appears not to be working. When viewing the storage array through vCenter using the VSC the array shows as "Enabled" for "VAAI Capable". I am presenting two FC LUNS from the array to one of my hosts that I am doing the testing on. I have confirmed that the correct ESXi modules are being loaded (esxcfg-module -l |grep vmw_vaaip_netapp) on the host as well as confirmed that the devices are showing as "Supported" for VAAI (esxcfg-scsidevs -l | egrep "Display Name:|VAAI Status:"). So from this I am thinking I am good. I fire up ESXTOP/RESXTOP and go to the Device screen (u), remove all fields except for DEVICE and VAAISTATS (f). I run a Storage vMotion job of a VM from one LUN to the other expecting to see changes in the counters for CLONE_RD and CLONE_WR but get nothing.

I have read through TR-3886 which covers the VAAI aspect for NetApp and believe everything has been configured correctly. HELP!

Thanks in advance,

-Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rodrigon

Hello Jason,

Is it enable on the hosts? Because it is enabled by default at Data ONTAP 8.0.1 and later.

Nascimento

NetApp - Enjoy it!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

rodrigon

Hello Jason!

If you are using Data ONTAP 8.x or later, restart your test and during the Storage vMotion connect at your FAS2040 and run this command:

stats show vstorage

At the output you should see some fields as vstorage:vfiler0:xcopy_copy_reqs increments.

I hope it helps!

Nascimento

NetApp - Enjoy it!

VALLEY911

Rodrigo,

Thank you for the post.

I am currently running version 8.0.2 on our array. When running another Storage vMotion and issuing the "stats show vstorage" command I receive the following output:

vstorage:vfiler0:xcopy_copy_reqs:0

vstorage:vfiler0:xcopy_abort_reqs:0

vstorage:vfiler0:xcopy_status_reqs:0

From this I am guessing VAAI is not working correctly.

-Jason

rodrigon

Hello Jason,

Is it enable on the hosts? Because it is enabled by default at Data ONTAP 8.0.1 and later.

Nascimento

NetApp - Enjoy it!

VALLEY911

Rodrigo,

Indeed it was disabled on the ESX host under advanced properties. Not sure as to why as the other 4 nodes in our cluster are configured correctly. I should have looked there.

Thank you for your assistance.

-Jason

badami

VAAI is enabled on the ESX/ESXi host running 4.1 or later.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1021976

Cheers,

-Apoorv

Public