VMware Solutions Discussions

Highlighted

VMWare and Netapp using FCP recommendations

hi all

we have a customer who has bought VMWare (vsphere 5) and a FAS 3240C - they have the FCP license and wish to present LUNS to the 3 ESXi hosts with around 3TB for virtual machines

what would you recommend to do in terms of datastores and LUN presentation ? we were thinking to present 5 x 600GB LUNs to all 3 ESXi hosts, and create a seperate datastore per LUN, each LUN would also be in a seperate volume on the same aggregate

im aware that we would lose the dedupe capability between the datastores with the above

any suggestions would be great

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Re: VMWare and Netapp using FCP recommendations

Hi and welcome to the Community!

Datastore size is a subject to a personal preference, but I would probably lean towards fewer & larger datastores (still sticking to the rule one datastore, one LUN per volume).

LUN-wide locking (leading to the idea of having more smaller LUNs) was a bit over-hyped in vSphere 4 & in version 5 this can be safely ignored completely thanks to the introduction of Atomic Test & Set (ATS), http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2011/07/new-vsphere-50-storage-features-part-1-vmfs-5.html

From the NetApp side perspective this is also worth noting - http://media.netapp.com/documents/tr-3749.pdf, p9:

Although spanned datastores can overcome the 2TB LUN size limit, they are most commonly used to overcome scaling limits imposed by storage arrays that use per LUN I/O queues. These traditional architectures place a limit on the number of simultaneous commands that can be sent to a LUN at a given time, which can impede overall I/O performance in a datastore.

Storage arrays powered by Data ONTAP are free of this legacy architecture; therefore, NetApp does not recommend the use of spanned VMFS datastores.

Regards,

Radek

Highlighted

VMWare and Netapp using FCP recommendations

Thanks Radek

Chris

Check out the KB!
Knowledge Base
All Community Forums